BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BER BMW
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im looking for someone to just point me in the right direction. i have 2 check engine lights p1523 and p0740. i have been trying to figure this out on my own and everytime i go to do research on the vanos code all i see is SEALS SEALS SEALS. i replaced the seals abut two months ago and no change. my car does not rough idle. it purrs like a kitty. no matter how cold the start. along with my vanos seals i had to change my whole ccv system because it was causing a severe vacuum leak. when i use my verus snap on scanner to pull the bmw codes it says that the problem is on the exhaust side. the code says vanos, exhaust side. number one thing i need to know. where the hel to start diagnosing this and number two the specs i need to do it. because i cant find either anywhere. and about the tourqe converter code. my car does shift rough from 2nd to 3rd, and it does take a little while to downshift from 4th to 3rd. does that sound ike mechanical turqe converter symptoms or could the p1523 cause the p0740? when i cear the codes the p1523 comes up first. with the p0740 oming up about 1 to 2 days later. thanks to anyone who can help.

oh btw this is for a 04/99 e39 528i.

·
BER BMW
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the cps has bee replaced. if my egine was ut of timing wouldant it nt run / barley run at all? and i know the definition of the code. but what is the camshaft position actuator? the vanos itself?

·
BER BMW
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry i probobly sound like a noob but im new to vanos. Is the vanos solenoid where the oil lines attatch to the vanos unit?

And thank you for being the only person who gave me a serious answer on this and didnt spit a code definition at me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts