BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have installed my new P39 projectors with AEs from UMNITZA and I am very happy with fit and finnish, and they look great especialy comparred to the clouded oem lights. The only problem I had was I went against my own advice and wired the AEs directly to the park lights and with the lights turned on they worked fine and I think the AEs light well and are very visable evan in bright sunlight and I get a lot of compliments on them. But the only problem with wireing them directly to the parking lights is with all lights off and ignition switch on or the engine running the AEs will strobe, right,left,right,left, after a little research I found that the light control module sends a low voltage pulse to all lights controled by the module to ck the bulbs even when the lights arn't turned on, the voltage is so low that it wont light a regular bulb but the AE light strips will so I just installed standard Bosch relay in the system and that solved the problem

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
frhsfootball80 said:
i think you might have got the power from the wrong wire....
If you noticed in my post the AEs worked fine when the park lights were turned on and allso with the headlights, if you have access to BMW WDS wire diagram DVD you will see that on left side park/turn signal bulb connector the park light wire is the bl/gr wire at pin position#1 and the turn signal is pos#2 the only other wire is the ground they were without a doubt wired right and the relay is allso wired into the same wire and the bulb check pulse that BMW designed into the system is not strong enough to energize relay with the lights in off position but works perfectly when lights are turned on

·
Registered
720 Posts
I would have recommended installing using the harness that comes with the headlight set... that also enables you to have the Remote Activation feature. Not to brag, but I pioneered that feature and think it is just the Bees Knees.

For a video, click here:
http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/Remote.wmv

All our Demon Eye products come with a harness that has this feature BUILT IN :)
JL

·
Registered
329 Posts
Vette528i said:
Well I have installed my new P39 projectors with AEs from UMNITZA and I am very happy with fit and finnish, and they look great especialy comparred to the clouded oem lights. The only problem I had was I went against my own advice and wired the AEs directly to the park lights and with the lights turned on they worked fine and I think the AEs light well and are very visable evan in bright sunlight and I get a lot of compliments on them. But the only problem with wireing them directly to the parking lights is with all lights off and ignition switch on or the engine running the AEs will strobe, right,left,right,left, after a little research I found that the light control module sends a low voltage pulse to all lights controled by the module to ck the bulbs even when the lights arn't turned on, the voltage is so low that it wont light a regular bulb but the AE light strips will so I just installed standard Bosch relay in the system and that solved the problem
How did you replay it to solve the low voltage bulb checking??

I have same problem with it with my taillights, they strobe because I changed the bulbs to LED bulbs.

Does your angel eye light up when you unlock/ and lock?

can you relay it to do that too?

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
Mine did the same thing wired like that. It's how the LCM runs a bulb check to see if there are any bulbs burnt out. When you wire them up using the relay that the harness is included with, It will work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yah, when I ordered my lights I decided not to get the remote feature so they didnt come with just with the ballast with a power and ground lead wich I would have gotten the remote option as that would have been neat

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
e39breyton said:

I have same problem with it with my taillights, they strobe because I changed the bulbs to LED bulbs.

breyton, the relay solves the strobing because the relay needs a 12 volt low amp signal to energize so the pulse that will strobe the AEs is not strong enough to energize the relay. On your tail lights do they strobe when the lights are not turned on and do they light normaly when turned on ? if thats the case let me know. And no my AEs do not flash when locking or onlocking

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jlevi SW said:
I would have recommended installing using the harness that comes with the headlight set... that also enables you to have the Remote Activation feature. Not to brag, but I pioneered that feature and think it is just the Bees Knees.

For a video, click here:
http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/Remote.wmv

All our Demon Eye products come with a harness that has this feature BUILT IN :)
JL
Hey Jlevi, yes I knew before I did the install that because of the LCM that it would need a relay abd I have advised others to do so but sometimes I have problems following my own advice haha, when I was looking to replace my dull OEM and upgrade to AEs I never ran across Demon Eye products. Like I said earlier I am happy with my P39 projectors from UMnitza but I think that they should include relay with instructions with kit regardless of remote option or not because the average DIY may not have the knowledge to install the relay into the system

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bimmerd00d said:
Mine did the same thing wired like that. It's how the LCM runs a bulb check to see if there are any bulbs burnt out. When you wire them up using the relay that the harness is included with, It will work.
hey bimmerdood, I read that right now you have the Depo p39 projectors that you are now replacing with OEM Xenon, did you get your Depos from UMnitza? you say that yours came with a harness with a relay, mine didnt I wonder if they left it out of mine by mistake no big deal really just had to go to Auto Zone get one for 5.00 then make my own harness

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
Vette528i said:
hey bimmerdood, I read that right now you have the Depo p39 projectors that you are now replacing with OEM Xenon, did you get your Depos from UMnitza? you say that yours came with a harness with a relay, mine didnt I wonder if they left it out of mine by mistake no big deal really just had to go to Auto Zone get one for 5.00 then make my own harness
Yes i ordered the remoteON harness from them. I did wire mine to come on with interior lighting, but that's not required. The harness keeps it clean even if you dont hook up interior lights and just wire them to the parking lights.

·
Registered
329 Posts
e39breyton said:

What kind of relay does this? and where do I buy it?
Sounds like just what I need.

My Celis do not blink, my brake lights, and turn signals in my tail lights do because they've been converted to LED's, and so they react to low voltage low amp bulb check, and light up 1/3 the brightness, and it's not a strobe, but a really slow checking of each bulb like in 30 sec intervals, but when they're on, they're really bright. Does not effect performance at all, but I just didn't want them constantly blinking at 1/3

I want my angel eyes to turn on with the interior lights.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what you need is a standard Bosch 30 amp relay can get one at Auto Zone or Advance etc, the relay will have 4 terminals, #30 is battery voltage hot all the time,#85 is the signal voltage where you would run wire from whatever light source you are activating, #86 ground, #87 output to the light, make sure to intall fuse for the 12 volt supply to term 30

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
e39breyton said:
What kind of relay does this? and where do I buy it?
Sounds like just what I need.

My Celis do not blink, my brake lights, and turn signals in my tail lights do because they've been converted to LED's, and so they react to low voltage low amp bulb check, and light up 1/3 the brightness, and it's not a strobe, but a really slow checking of each bulb like in 30 sec intervals, but when they're on, they're really bright. Does not effect performance at all, but I just didn't want them constantly blinking at 1/3

I want my angel eyes to turn on with the interior lights.
so do you want your AEs to be on whenever interior lights are on and when headlights or parking lights are on?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Vette528i said:
so do you want your AEs to be on whenever interior lights are on and when headlights or parking lights are on?
So, what kind of relay is it and where do I buy them?

And yes, I was hoping to get my OEM AE to turn on with the interior lights.

·
Site Sponsor
5,144 Posts
If you order the harness, you can get the harness. If you don't, it does work without it:)
They don't require much power to "pulse" as you have noted and we'd have no issue sending you a harness:)

·
Registered
329 Posts
umnitza said:
If you order the harness, you can get the harness. If you don't, it does work without it:)
They don't require much power to "pulse" as you have noted and we'd have no issue sending you a harness:)
Are you talking to me? What do you mean? I don't get it.

I need the relay that only passes current through when there is enough current.

On another side note, I was asking if it is possible wire my angel eyes in a way that they would light up like the interior lights when I unlock/lock with my key.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
e39breyton ,are you wanting your AEs to just work with inside lights only or do you allso want them to allso work with headlights and park lights?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Vette528i said:
e39breyton ,are you wanting your AEs to just work with inside lights only or do you allso want them to allso work with headlights and park lights?
First of All.... I NEED To know where to buy those relays....

It's not related in any with the angel eye question... I need to know what kind relays, and where to buy them that only lets current pass where there is enough current.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, second, this is just me thinking about it... My angel eyes work like normal, and they turn on with the headlight switch, but what my friend with m3 has is ccfl angel eyes, and he directly hooked it up to some interior lights, that slowly light up and slowly dim out, which look very cool. It also dims out after you lock the door after few seconds. That's basically what I wanted, but it seems very hard to do on e39.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the relay is just a standard bosch relay available from Auto zone or Advance for about 5.00 and I believe they have the cheaper ones around 3 or 4 its just a standard 4 prong relay.
on the AEs yes you car wire them with the inside lights you would have to splice into a wire for the inside lights and run a wire out to the AEs

1 - 20 of 30 Posts