BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
paddle shifter
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wooo Hooo!!!
I am happy to say that I've had the VS Paddle-Shift Retrofit done on my car. Vincent was kind enough to come over and do the install yesterday, and now I am part of the paddle-shifting crowd. Install didn't take too long. He and I had an interesting conversation about BMW stuff which made the time go by quickly. Vincent did an awesome job with the install. I think he's had a lot of practice because he practically did it in his sleep.

After the install, we went for a test drive. First of all, the M3 wheel feels great. I've hated my Sport Wheel from the beginning because it's hard as a rock. The M3 wheel is soft yet firm enough to get a good grip. Shifting the paddles is like playing Gran Turismo - right for upshift and left for downshift. Someone mentioned this before, but it feels like the gears really shift faster. I don't know if it is psychological or not, but it really does.

For anyone with a Step, this is an awesome mod. It makes driving much more exciting.

·
10,856 Posts
My guess is that you don't have "steering wheel lag" when shifting. :p You hands don't move, after all.

All in all, pretty cool, even if you have a pansy tranny. :D;)

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
All in all, pretty cool, even if you have a pansy tranny. :D;)
We don't say "pansy tranny" anymore... It is a genetically deformed tranny, since from birth it is missing the clutch pedal. :lmao: :lmao:

And for the PC crowd, it's a clutch pedal challenged tranny :p

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
operknockity said:

We don't say "pansy tranny" anymore... It is a genetically deformed tranny, since from birth it is missing the clutch pedal. :lmao: :lmao:

And for the PC crowd, it's a clutch pedal challenged tranny :p
LOL

I thought we also called them "Spouse induced gear selection transmissions":dunno:

:(

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
paul330ci said:
Let me get this. You added paddles to a slush box. Oh that's exciting. NOOOT.
I think it is very exciting. I am really hoping to get the funds to purchase this from Vince.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts

I've got one that insists on sticks. Of course, that cuts two ways. :(
LOL I remember that post.

I tried to teach the Mrs. on my GSR and Del Sol w/out luck:(

She could squeak by in a pinch but I wouldn't want to be on an up hill start with her:yikes:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Let me get this. You're a freaking newbie and I don't expect you to get excited over this. If you wanna, go to one corner and get excited with your left or right hand. Best if you have an ambidextrous skill in doing so. Slush box owners don't own you an explanation for doing what they want. D.F.

paul330ci said:

·
Shiftin
404 Posts
paul330ci said:
I'm with ya Vince. Everytime he sees an E46 SMG wheel on a Step, he knows deep down that he should've chosen a Step. Especially when he's in traffic:banghead:

Some people don't appreciate good crafstmanship.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Does the SMG wheel fit without Vincent's harness? I heard that the real M3 SMG harness and stock harness are different, and that the wheel does not fit without replacing the harness. Is this true?

·
paddle shifter
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
paul330ci said:
We are all BMW owners here. There is no need to bash someone because one car is different than another. We are a BMW community and we should support each other. Now if your talking about a Lexus IS300, that's a different story.
Plus, do a little research before you talk trash. Here in LA with the millions of cars, stuck in traffic, you'd want a Step, too. I don't know how traffic is in Georgia, but I can say it is nothing like LA.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Mdk330i said:
Here in LA with the millions of cars, stuck in traffic, you'd want a Step, too. I don't know how traffic is in Georgia, but I can say it is nothing like LA.
I live on the freeways in LA and I don't want a Step! Least of all in a BMW.

As for Georgia... Many years ago I spent a week in Hotlanta one day, and it was almost as bad as LA in the number of cars on the road, but it had an entirely different feel to it. Not better, not worse, just different.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,706 Posts
I lived in Atlanta for six years and that was before the Olympics. When I lived there, the ten mile non-interstate trip to the office took at least an hour. I still have family and friends there and I visit often enough to tell you that traffic is one of the reasons I will not move there.

I have been to LA and sat in traffic there, too. Outside of the fact that there is no coast within an hour or so, Atlanta traffic is about the same.

In case you're wondering, lots of people in Atlanta like to talk about how they've got worse problems than other cities of the same size. It's sort of a complex that the citizens have- They feel like they're handicapped by being in the South, so they have to make sure everyone knows their problems are just as bad.

This article though, from the Business Journal does give Atlanta traffic troubles some teeth.

As for auto versus manual- my 540 is a six speed, the wife's 330 is step, and the '02- well, an automatic '02 is just- not for me. She could care less about paddle shifting.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've always had manual transmission cars. I had a 318ti with a M52 engine and 5 speed. After I sold the ti, I wanted a E34/530iT wagon. They only come automatic. During my 120 miles a day commute I really came to like not having to shift gears.

When I found my current car, I was a little disappointed that it had steptronic and not a manual transmission. But it had everything I wanted and there was no way i'd find the exact car in 5 speed.

Since then i've really come to love the steptronic, especially after Vince's SMG conversion. Sure there is shift lag, but the use of the paddles and Dinan trans software the car seems to shift much faster. I love it!!

My opinion is that it offers the best of both worlds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts