BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jon, last Memorial Day weekend we finally got some decent weather here, so since I was in the area I tooled in to my local friendly BMW dealer parking lot with the top down to play with the i-drive thingy in the service waiting area before my impending drive in the E65 for the Komen Drive.

To make a short story long, two client advisers accosted me and took it upon themselves to tell me that Tanin red is no longer available (gee, you're kidding guys!). However, they said that they had just recently 'special' ordered Tanin for a customer to compliment the SG exterior. The price? Get a load of this: $3800!

I know it's a different country and all, but Alex B tried to convince his adviser in Germany earlier to get him Tanin without any success. You'd figure that if you can't get something in 'The Homeland', where the only limit is the depth of your pockets, you sure as heck can't get it here in 'The (un)Real World'.

As far as you know can Tanin be special ordered, or are these guys trying to blow smoke up my single exhaust? :eeps:

I've got mine (much thanks to you) and I'm glad that I did, but I'm curious and other board members may want to know as well.

TIA!

Mike

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
atyclb said:
Not to butt in, but that $3800 figure seems like the key. There's a guy on the M3 board at .org that got a 2-tone leather interior special ordered. The cost? $3800.
WoW! So I guess the question is do you have $3800? If so the world is your oyster (I like oyster's, but that''s still a lot for oysters).

On a sidenote; at least they're consistent. I'd hate to pay $3800 only to find out that some other guy only paid $3795. :angel: :rolleyes:

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alex Baumann said:
EINEN MOMENT BITTE !!!!!!!!!!!

What ? Tanin CAN BE ORDERED ? Wait ? Where's my phone book ?

OK, I'll be back in a moment !

More like, "Where is my checkbook"! :D

Hey, it finally looks like over here in the land of non-fat milk and sugar-free honey we finally can do something you guys can't. How's it feel now that the shoe may be on the other foot? :p

J/k of course. Besides, I don't think Tanin would go well together with Mora. That may finally be a color that Tanin just doesn't fit well with.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Hmmm -- a workaround...

Okay, if price is no object, here's what you do: Order desired car but with black interior. Go into parts department and order seat upholstery, headrests and 4 door panels (4 door/touring) or 2 door panels and 2 rear side panels (coupe/cabrio), all in Tanin Red. Once car arrives, remove black pieces and install red pieces. Voila! I suspect the total bill would be breathtaking, but you would end up with a Tanin Red '02 or '03 or whatever.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
IndyMike said:

More like, "Where is my checkbook"! :D

LOL, I was thinking about the same thing after I clicked the submit button.

Besides, I don't think Tanin would go well together with Mora. That may finally be color that Tanin just doesn't fit well with.
I know, but since the car didn't go into production yet, it may well be worth to reconsider another exterior color :D

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alex Baumann said:

I know, but since the car didn't go into production yet, it may well be worth to reconsider another exterior color :D [/B]
If I were you, just for stuff and grins I would 'discuss' it with my client advisor.

If he needs to know how to order it have him contact Dreyer-Reinbold in Indianapolis. :D :lmao:

Make sure he specifies the make because they also sell
Infiniti-hehehehe's, as well as sponsoring open wheel racing teams in the Indy Racing League. Unless of course you're interested in a 750 HP convertible with no top?
:D :D

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Hmmm -- a workaround...

LMC said:
Okay, if price is no object, here's what you do: Order desired car but with black interior. Go into parts department and order seat upholstery, headrests and 4 door panels (4 door/touring) or 2 door panels and 2 rear side panels (coupe/cabrio), all in Tanin Red. Once car arrives, remove black pieces and install red pieces. Voila! I suspect the total bill would be breathtaking, but you would end up with a Tanin Red '02 or '03 or whatever.
That's an option! Or just go to an aftermarket supplier that specializes in interior appointments and installations and have them do the same. Either way I bet it would cost less than 3800 oysters.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,535 Posts
IndyMike said:
Jon, last Memorial Day weekend we finally got some decent weather here, so since I was in the area I tooled in to my local friendly BMW dealer parking lot with the top down to play with the i-drive thingy in the service waiting area before my impending drive in the E65 for the Komen Drive.

To make a short story long, two client advisers accosted me and took it upon themselves to tell me that Tanin red is no longer available (gee, you're kidding guys!). However, they said that they had just recently 'special' ordered Tanin for a customer to compliment the SG exterior. The price? Get a load of this: $3800!

I know it's a different country and all, but Alex B tried to convince his adviser in Germany earlier to get him Tanin without any success. You'd figure that if you can't get something in 'The Homeland', where the only limit is the depth of your pockets, you sure as heck can't get it here in 'The (un)Real World'.

As far as you know can Tanin be special ordered, or are these guys trying to blow smoke up my single exhaust?
To be perfectly honest with you Mike, I dunno...
:dunno:

I haven't had a request for Tanin for a while... I'll send my buddy an email and find out for you on monday though!
:thumb:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not sure of the interest.

When I found my car at Lauderdale BMW they also had a sister car. '01 325i Titanium Silver with Tanin Red leather. All I know about the car is it looked like it had Sport and Premium Package and was 5 speed.

It was still there 2 days ago when I stopped in to see what kind of cars they had on the lot. I'd ask for Mark in Used Cars (no affiliation, just love the color combo).

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Come to think of it, Tanin Red has got to be available somehow... What if I wanted to replace a Tanin Red seat cushion that got damaged or something? I mean, one could probably order all pieces in order to put a Tanin Red interior together, right? ;)

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
ALEX325i said:
Come to think of it, Tanin Red has got to be available somehow... What if I wanted to replace a Tanin Red seat cushion that got damaged or something? I mean, one could probably order all pieces in order to put a Tanin Red interior together, right? ;)
Good point !

I'll call the dealer on Monday and tell them that the passenger seat got burned .(no kidding)

Let's see what they're going to tell me.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Alex Baumann said:

I'll call the dealer on Monday and tell them that the passenger seat got burned .(no kidding)

Did the blondes get a little out of control:dunno: :bigpimp:

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Re: Paging Jon Shafer! Please pick up the Tanin red courtesy phone.

Jon Shafer said:

To be perfectly honest with you Mike, I dunno...
:dunno:

I haven't had a request for Tanin for a while... I'll send my buddy an email and find out for you on monday though!
:thumb:
Thanks Jon, and there's really no big hurry on it. I don't see too many people knocking down the door of any of our client advisors at Dreyer-Reinbold to get it, but they've told me that they have had other inquiries about Tanin besides the one that placed the special order.

It's definitely a love-it :thumb: or hate-it :thumbdwn: kind of thing.

I've been in both camps so I know the feelings.

I despised it until you posted the SG cab pics on .org. Then other guys like Emission and Sean posted their pics and explained their experiences and I was a goner. I had to have it and it had to be in the cab configuration; something else that I never imagined that I would ever want. There must have been subliminal messages in those pictures and posts.

Just goes to show you the power of advertising and marketing.

Post something often enough and people convince themselves that they can't live without it. Ridiculous, huh?

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ALEX325i said:
Funny, I was thinking this exact same thing not long ago. I don't think any BMW service dept. or independent interior appointment operation is going to turn business down. They'll find a supplier somewhere. You might have to pay an arm and a leg to get it, but if you want it bad enough I've got to believe they won't tell you to take a hike.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PM 325xiT said:

Did the blondes get a little out of control:dunno: :bigpimp:
I also have a burning :angel: desire to know more, but I'm not gonna press Alex if he doesn't want to cough up the details.

Now, if the rest of you guys and gals pressed him I really don't see any harm in that. :D

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
IndyMike said:

Funny, I was thinking this exact same thing not long ago. I don't think any BMW service dept. or independent interior appointment operation is going to turn business down. They'll find a supplier somewhere. You might have to pay an arm and a leg to get it, but if you want it bad enough I've got to believe they won't tell you to take a hike.
Glad to see that great (i.e. Tanin Red :D) minds think alike.

Yup, $3.8K sounds like an arm and a leg to me... :D We better be careful with our TR interior... :yikes:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Paging Jon Shafer! Please pick up the Tanin red courtesy phone.

IndyMike said:
...It's definitely a love-it :thumb: or hate-it :thumbdwn: kind of thing.

I've been in both camps so I know the feelings...
Same here. When I was shopping around for my first E46 (323Ci) two years ago, I was kind of skeptical when I found one manual and the sales advisor described it to me over the phone... Later that day, I decided to take a trip to the dealership to see it in person. LOVED it! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts