BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dan,

I think I may have figured out what is ultimately still clunking from my rear UUC sway bars. After really taking a close look at some pitctures of people installs, it seems that some are installing the rear links on the inside of the bar and others are putting the endlinks on the outside of the bar. And another thing is which direction the screw and bolt are put on. Some have the head of the bolt facing out towards the wheels and some have the head of the bolts facing inwards. What is the correct way and what differences does this make.

I am desperate at this point to do something to get rid of these clunks.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
The way I've always done it on all of my "client's" cars, is bar on the inside, link on the outside, bolt faces in, washer in between bolt, bar, and nut.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Raffi said:

Doesn't mean it's the right way - just the HACK way!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :angel:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Well, for what it's worth, mine haven't clunked at all yet, and they held up well through the Calif. Speedway track school. :thumbup:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Dan.

I went under and tightening the end links back up this weekend and things have gotten much quieter although there is still some noise. I can't seem to get rid of the play that the end link has. This transmits into the cabin as a clunking sound. I guess I will just have to live with it.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Try loosening the adjustible part of the end link and put some thread-lock (the blue stuff) on it, and then shorten the endlink to your liking again. Kaz and I found that the thing tend to rattle a little when it's CLEAN. Mine has a lot of brake dust caked on the end link and it's quiet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts