BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously paint chips are a fact of life (unless you never drive your car of course).

Most paint chips seem to happen on the front bumper, hood, etc.

My question is, do you guys/girls think its worth the $600 for the clear bra protection, or would it be cheaper to do a respray of the front bumper/hood when going to sell the car?

Also, how much do minor paint chips really devalue a three to four year old car?

I'm deciding what to do for the '07 Z4 I just picked up two weeks ago. I've noticed it has some chips already (aggravating at first but I'm getting over it), but I plan on selling the car when the warranty is up in 39 months and don't even know if its something worth worrying about.

·
totally obssed
203 Posts
I spent $400 for my clear bra w/tax. I contacted my local Corvette club for references. They seem to be more anal about car appearance than my local BMW dudes. I am very happy with the results.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had it beofore and didn't like it as much as I thought. The hood protection has a line across. It will be more noticable as dirt gets trapped there. The stone chips still does some damage which cuts through the top layer of the film.

There are many feel good about clear bra protection. You should look at one that has it on for a couple of years to see how it holds up.

I only use it for headlights and side mirrors now. Just re-spray when you sell or sell as is.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I drive on I-95 daily so paint chips are just a fact of life. I look at them as battle scars which add character.... but I'd still like it if they weren't there... :cry:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i've had them on my last 4 cars and its usually the first mod I do. over the years they havent discolored, although i do have a small tear in one of them b/c of a rock. didnt do any damage to the paint at all.

as far as re-spraying, you may be OK to re-do the bumper, but the hood maybe another story. many people are leary of a repainted hood b/c it could infer an accident.

·
Lap Dog
1,216 Posts
I drive on I-95 daily so paint chips are just a fact of life. I look at them as battle scars which add character.... but I'd still like it if they weren't there... :cry:
Hear, hear!! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had different types of clear bras on my cars for the past 6 years. The last one I bought off Ebay is 3M film (much better than the flimsier types that I had got previously). I installed it without too much hassle and it has held perfectly for the past two years without discoloring. You can hardly tell it's there. I did the hood and the front bumper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got my front bumper painted and it ran $945.00 with all labor and Spies Hecker paint. The bra is def worth it!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I vote for clear bra.

I put the clear bra on my front bumper/front part of hood, side sills, door cups and entire rear bumper (While I park in my garage, I do live in a city and occasionally need to park on the street and am anal about my paint). It looks great and is virtually undetectable. My installer here in chicago cut the film custom and did a great job for $800.00. I opted for the Avery Film over the 3M this go around. Both the Avery and the 3m are good films- just be weary of the other cheap films.

Another note, clear bras are more/less visible depending on the color of your car. From what my installer told me, White cars show the most. My car (gray) is supposed to be one of the better candidates for a nearly invisible install- may be worth considering as part of your decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts