BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi:

Maybe I'm paranoid, but is there a reason why the parts manager at my local BMW dealerships are requiring me to give them the last 7 digits of my VIN before they will sell or locate a bottle of Carbon Black touch up paint for my 5 series.....are there 27 different shades of carbon black or will they note my VIN number and forward it on to BMWFS who will then ding me when I turn in my car at the end of the lease??

If anyone has the paint code, would you mind sharing this high security, CIA clearance level information....thanks.

BTW, the parking sensors in the front of the car are about as useful as **** on a bull when it comes to parking near a high curb.....the warning sound comes on only after you have already hit the high curb and are in the process of reversing. Might be good if they actually came on an inch or more BEFORE you are about to hit the curb--hence, the reason why I need some touch up paint.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Hi:

Maybe I'm paranoid, but is there a reason why the parts manager at my local BMW dealerships are requiring me to give them the last 7 digits of my VIN before they will sell or locate a bottle of Carbon Black touch up paint for my 5 series.....are there 27 different shades of carbon black or will they note my VIN number and forward it on to BMWFS who will then ding me when I turn in my car at the end of the lease??
Put the last 7 digits of your VIN into here: http://bimmer.work/

That'll give you the exact paint code, as an example, mine comes up with "Sophistograu Brillanteffekt Metalli - A90" which is correct :)
Yes there are variations. elchevere's code is A90. Mine, for the same basic color is B90... My old Lincoln LS's color was Silver Birch and there were no less than 6 variations of that color!!

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,769 Posts
Yes there are variations. elchevere's code is A90. Mine, for the same basic color is B90... My old Lincoln LS's color was Silver Birch and there were no less than 6 variations of that color!!
I believe the A90 vs B90 was for the couple of years they had to re-formulate Dark Graphite due to the shortage of the metallic flake from Japan (after the huge earthquake). They aren't variations of the same exact color. B90 was known as DG II.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,306 Posts
Just to add to the above, if you open the hood, on one of the shock towers should show your paint color code.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It should be 416. If you know it's Carbon Black then order that. Parts managers probably don't want to deal with customers who just THINK their car is "Dark Metallic Gray" or whatever without knowing for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts