BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,055 Posts
It looks like something sat on the paint in those spots, maybe bird poop. I’m not sure there’s any way to avoid having the hood painted at this point.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Still under warranty? I'd take to dealer and have them fix it.
I have an appointment next Friday for full paint correction and Ceramic Coating job.. This just makes me more confident in my decision to do it

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,359 Posts
During many factoring a drop of something inadvertent contaminated the surface, PRIOR to the color coat…looked fine for a while but ultimately failed…. I’d try for a warranty Claim.

go to a body shop FIRST, get their opinion. They are the experts, NOT an SA at a dealership. Heck, generally nobody at dealerships do paint.... Dealer might just try and fob you off...be prepared.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Man that’s a stretch. That paint looks aweful anyways. I suspect it was never waxed/sealed and something sat on the paint surface personally. I’ve seen new cars with scratches from mfg or delivery but never anything bubbling up from something sitting in it. They are delivered with white plastic film covering the roof, hood and trunk to protect them.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,730 Posts
Paint on the bonnet of my black BMW X5 is peeling off.it’s just two years old. Can anybody suggest what to do ?
Take it back to the dealer for warranted repair. I believe that is due to contact after the painting but before the oven, while the paint could still smear, strech and wrinkle. That is what the linear features are, wrinkles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Still under warranty? I'd take to dealer and have them fix it.
I have an appointment next Friday for full paint correction and Ceramic Coating job.. This just makes me more confident in my decision to do it
Good luck with the dealer but I am sure they will decline any warranty claim. This is definitely not a paint defect from the factory.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,359 Posts
Again, OP- have a qualified paint shop look at this...

Here:

Now, imaging if it didnt wrinkle immediately- that they got the clear down and it looked fine. Months or years later it might look PRECISELY like yours...

I've had paint look fine then 2 yewar later got pits up. Shop looked and said "yup, PPG had issues with some of blah blah- they will warrant that" and they did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Paint on the bonnet of my black BMW X5 is peeling off.it’s just two years old. Can anybody suggest what to do ? View attachment 1037107
Paint on the bonnet of my black BMW X5 is peeling off.it’s just two years old. Can anybody suggest what to do ? View attachment 1037107
Before going back to a dealer, I suggest (as an attorney) that you get independent advice from a high-quality paint shop. There may be an issue of a dealer or factory repainting prior to purchase. The fix may be a repaint, but no one wants aftermarket paint work which may deteriorate rapidly in a few years.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Before going back to a dealer, I suggest (as an attorney) that you get independent advice from a high-quality paint shop. There may be an issue of a dealer or factory repainting prior to purchase. The fix may be a repaint, but no one wants aftermarket paint work which may deteriorate rapidly in a few years.
Good point. It’s not uncommon for dealers to correct paint issues when the vehicles come in. Had that happen to me twice; one of the times being a BMW Z4 hood. Repainted the whole hood.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Sending cars out for paint does NOT disqualify for certified pre owned. It’s amazing how many BMWs have screwed up bumpers when so many have PDC 🤷‍♂️.
Anyways replacement of certain panels does disqualify but paint does not.
I’ve read all the opinions and still firmly believe something sat on the paint ( maybe bird poop ). The rest of the paint in the picture looks horrible as well like it’s been through johnnys auto scratcher wash 10k times.
I’m not sure we will ever know the outcome or cause though as OP posted 1 time 2 days ago and vanished like a fart in the wind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts