BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to share my simple brake job that turned into more as i went along .

i was checking i got 15,657 miles on the last set of pads and the rears are still @ 1/2 life (both changed at the same time). i think thats pretty good . how long do most pads last ? i use the OEM Textar

Attachments

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Nice work! :thumbup:

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
VHT (or other heat-resistant) paint should be used. The *only* color I would use is black....the stock calipers are so puny, I don`t want to draw attention to them.... :)

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
vht (or other heat-resistant) paint should be used. The *only* color i would use is black....the stock calipers are so puny, i don`t want to draw attention to them.... :)
+1

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use Ferodo pads and have been getting 30,000 + on my fronts. They feel just like OEM and dust like OEM.
ok thought 15,000 was alot guess im wrong
525isport, how did you get those calipers clean enough to paint?
air powered wire brush and carb cleaner
Op, what kind of paint did you use? Did you use any primer?
rustoleum caliper paint no primer
They look nice. Did you brush the paint on or spray?
rustoleum caliper spray paint
Looks excellent so glad to see they aren't red or yellow!
thank you i was a fan of the red but i guess ive grown up now :D
Nice work! :thumbup:
thank you
did mine a couple years ago, rims were really dirty that day. think i used duplicolor but thats what comes to mind when i think about it
i usually use duplicolor products but i saw the rustoleum so i went with it
VHT (or other heat-resistant) paint should be used. The *only* color I would use is black....the stock calipers are so puny, I don`t want to draw attention to them.... :)
i only used the silver because the caliper is aluminum so i just went with it

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
The big question is, how long will it hold the paint, and hopefully it will not flake on you. It looks nice though.

mw

·
Registered
36 Posts
The big question is, how long will it hold the paint, and hopefully it will not flake on you. It looks nice though.

mw
Forever.

I have used Engine paint and regular paint on them on other cars and they have been the same for more than 5 years. Even the ones on my Mustang that I routinely catch the brakes on fire on dont discolor or burn off. The pads...different story lol.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Which is another reason I went with the larger 530i/540i brakes...
:D

ok thought 15,000 was alot guess im wrong

air powered wire brush and carb cleaner

rustoleum caliper paint no primer

rustoleum caliper spray paint

thank you i was a fan of the red but i guess ive grown up now :D

thank you

i usually use duplicolor products but i saw the rustoleum so i went with it

i only used the silver because the caliper is aluminum so i just went with it
Nice work!
I like the silver...
Looks OEM...
:)

Thanks!
Jason

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Forever.

I have used Engine paint and regular paint on them on other cars and they have been the same for more than 5 years. Even the ones on my Mustang that I routinely catch the brakes on fire on dont discolor or burn off. The pads...different story lol.
yea it does hold up well . i painted the calipers (dupil colour metalcast regular paint )on my skyline powered laurel and it held up for 5 years and counting it was driven very hard when i had it

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Nice thread. I added it to the relevant brake section (see bold red below):

- What E39 street use brake pads (1) and rotors (1) and suppliers (1) (2) are most often recommended & how to do a complete four wheel brake job DIY (1) (2) (3) including the parking brake drum shoes (1) (2) (3) & exactly what lube/paste to use and not use (1) & where to lube (1) and not to lube (1) what tools (1) (2) and supplies (1) you'll need & what specifications you must know (1) including minimum specs for the brake shoes (1) (2) taking care to measure torque accurately (1) & how to crack friction material edge codes (1) & how far you can go once the brake wear sensor trips (1) (2) (3) (4) & how long do rotors last (1) & how to clear the check brake lining warning the right way (1) (2) and how to hardwire the sensor (1) (2) & how to diagnose brake-related vibration (1) (2) (3) & the truth about rotor "warp" (1) & how to rebuild the calipers (1) & how to measure runout (1) & should you just turn the rotors (1) & how to remove stuck rusted-on brake rotors (1) & how to remove a stuck 6mm brake rotor set screw (1) & how to replace the anti-rattle spring (1) (2) & what about unsightly rust (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to bed (1) (2) & bleed or flush (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) your brakes & what brake & clutch hydraulic fluid to use (1) and how much it will cost if you do not DIY (1) (2) (3)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.