BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Painted Reflectors and Chrome Signal Bulb

3475 Views 18 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  stranger_
Too hot to be riding the motorcycle today. Decided it would be a good time to stay home and fiddle with the car.

Changing the turn signal bulb is easy. No tools required. The directions are in the US owners manual on page page 199. Took all of 5-10 minutes.

The painted reflector took a little more effort. Removed the three screws in the wheel well and peeled back the plastic shield to access the reflector from the inside. It took about 30 minutes to gather tools and go through the learning curve.

Rather please with the clean look to the front end.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Looks nice! Can I ask - where'd you get the parts, and which bulb is that?
That's very nice, but that's not an F30, correct?

BJ
thats an msport f30
That's very nice, but that's not an F30, correct?

BJ
I see the rims but isn't the reflector incorrect?

BJ
thats an msport f30
looks like the msport has different reflector
Here's the link for the chrome bulb: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400313498089?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

As for the painted reflectors, I got it from IND. But they don't have it advertised on their website. I suppose it's because the xDrive is still new. You can contact via email: [email protected] and order it. There is a difference between the 335i rwd and 335i xDrive. Just let them know your model and they will make on for you. Btw, the paint quality was awesome. Actually if your a real stickler for details, there were a few minute blemishes. But to the casual observer it would not be noticeable (I'm talking micro-scopic details where you hold the painted reflector inches from you face and go over the entire surface millimeter by millimeter. Honestly I was very satisfied with the product. Highly recommend.

If you want their website, its:
http://parts.ind-distribution.com/catalog/BMW%20F30%20335i^000169.php?Opt1=&Opt2=000103
Looks nice! Can I ask - where'd you get the parts, and which bulb is that?
Justin, you know your BMW's very well.:thumbup:
Thanks!

What's the purpose of the bulb swap?

BJ
Cosmetic. Not my cup of tea but i see why some would want to swap them.
Thanks!

What's the purpose of the bulb swap?

BJ
Ah, thanks.

So the bulb swap makes the whole housing look clear and removes the amber color when the bulb is off? Is that what this does?

BJ
Cosmetic. Not my cup of tea but i see why some would want to swap them.
Yes. Cosmetic. Removes amber color and cleans up the front end with clear color. It will light up amber when the turn signal is activated.
Ah, thanks.

So the bulb swap makes the whole housing look clear and removes the amber color when the bulb is off? Is that what this does?

BJ
Thanks. Can you post up a few more pics from further back showing the whole nose?

I want to do both mods on my Mineral Grey and would love to see how the whole front end looks.

BJ
Yes. Cosmetic. Removes amber color and cleans up the front end with clear color. It will light up amber when the turn signal is activated.
Here you go.

Attachments

Awesome!

And that silvered windshield! Now the hell did you do that? Split the glass in half? Does it hurt visibility?

BJ
Here you go.
Use it all the time year round. UV protection for interior and helps keep things cool (more like not as hot) when it's 95+ degrees outside. :thumbup:
Awesome!

And that silvered windshield! Now the hell did you do that? Split the glass in half? Does it hurt visibility?

BJ
LOL :rofl: Actually, I'm waiting/hoping for the sunshield that BMW accessories has for the other models as it gets furnace hot during the summer here in the desert. Getting the tint done tomorrow which should also help alot.
Awesome!

BJ
Can't remove front side reflectors!

Hello folks,
Today I tried to remove the ugly yellow front reflectors and replace them with colored ones.
I spent almost two hours trying to remove the driver's side reflector but to no avail. That adhesive is super strong! I pushed with my thumbs for a while (they are now purple). I grabbed the edged of the reflectors from the inner side of the bumper and tried the pry tool but impossible to get a good angle.
Keep in mind that I have the side view cameras and limited space, I almost pull one of the cables accidentally and very afraid of messing up the cameras.
I have seen YouTube videos, and forums with instructions on how to do this but could not do it.
I have not tried the hair dryer since I live in a condo and there are no power outlets in the garage. I don't' think that blowing hot hair into the cameras would be a good idea. How did you avoided messing up your cameras with the hair blower?
My only option is to go to a self-serve garage ($30 the hour) and try the hair blower approach and see if makes any difference?
What do you think? Any suggestions, encouragement, tips will be valuable. I am incredible frustrated by this, I knew this would mess up my hands and arms, but it happened without any results ***61516;
Thanks for your advice!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.