BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught a break in the weather to wash and wax my new car. It had 200 miles and was just a few weeks old. I was surprised to find the painted surfaces had a very fine texture to them. It feels as if I parked it under a tree and tiny drops of sap rained down on it. It's on the vertical surfaces, too, but to a lesser extent. You can't see them. You can only feel them with your finger tips. My previous BMWs, an E36 M3 and an E53 X5, had painted surfaces that were smooth as glass.

Is this normal on the newer cars? If it's not normal, what is the best way to fix it?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
396 Posts
id say clay it if not try some sap remover like goo gone or something... just my opinion.... wait for some detailing veterans to post there say

·
Paint polishing expert
702 Posts
Sounds like the surface could use a claying and a light polish. Most dealer preps are not done properly.

·
Fountainhead
722 Posts
I caught a break in the weather to wash and wax my new car. It had 200 miles and was just a few weeks old. I was surprised to find the painted surfaces had a very fine texture to them. It feels as if I parked it under a tree and tiny drops of sap rained down on it. It's on the vertical surfaces, too, but to a lesser extent. You can't see them. You can only feel them with your finger tips. My previous BMWs, an E36 M3 and an E53 X5, had painted surfaces that were smooth as glass.

Is this normal on the newer cars? If it's not normal, what is the best way to fix it?

Thanks!

Mike
Can you give us a picture?

I do think claying would be a good start, but I had to wet sand my car to get all the orange peel out.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
the newer cars do have more of an orange peel too them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would post a picture but it looks just like any brand new 335, even up close. You can't see the tiny bumps, only feel them. I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy. So, I'll pick up a clay bar and go at it. Is there any place to buy Zaino products besides online?

TSC17, that picture looks like someone in the advanced group doing a trackday with SBTT. I ride in the same group with them at Barber and Road Atl. What a blast!

Thanks for all the advice!!

·
C code: 405/3
876 Posts
New cars pick up a bit of rail dust, depending how they're transported. It gets embedded into the clear and must be removed via clay so since your car is so new, it may have some rail dust.
The tree sap/ pollen is probably more common for the Atlanta area now. What's blooming about now. Here, nothing, but something must be blooming in Atlanta.

To satisfy your curiosity, do a small test area. Use some proper shampoo and see if the spots clear up. Try a bug/tar remover. If shampoo or the bug/tar stuff don't remove it, it's probably not organic. Move to the clay with lots of lube.
Meguiars makes a good otc clay. Sonus green is really good but mail order.
-John C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts