BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Bimmer enthusiast
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, So i Just got my DDM non-m3 bumper in this morning. I am debating on spending $300 to get it painted by a shop or doing it myself with spray cans of jet black and clear coat. What do you all reccommend. Mind you I do know how to paint as I have done it for a few years. I don't have a gun anymore but I can set up my own "paint booth". Should I say f*ck it and spend the money to get it painted by a shop or try it myself? has anyone gone about this by themselves and been please with their work?

·
95325i on bimmer*****s
422 Posts
I have not painted a bumper but i have painted a spoiler and a trunk on my past cars, and I did not like the out come at all. I could not get the gloss or the depth of color from a spray can. Personally I would just go get it done by some one that has the proper equipment at a shop.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Just go get it done. It will need a special paint for the bumper that can flex with the plastic.

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Ive read on bf.c of someone who painted their bumper black and it didnt turn out that bad (what the pictures could show). If you are talented enough, I say try it. If it turns out awful, just sand it down and send it in to a shop :dunno:

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
Gloss is not from the paint alone but the paint and the hardener used as well as the wet sanding with 1200 and 2000 grit than polishing it out.
I say go for it and you do need paint with some flex properties in it. I plan to repaint with my air brush my white bumper and nose panel and like I said it is not the paint that gives the gloss it is the hours of work you do afterwards that counts unless you really mess the paint up...
Look at it this way our cars are up to 17 years old and are not contours quality so why blow 300 bills on something that is not really worthy of it...

·
Synth Oil & Vodka.
970 Posts
Take it into a shop. Or waste time,work,effort and be pist off when it comes out sub par.

·
Sucker for the 3 Series
302 Posts
by the time you buy tonnes of primer (to do a few coats), then several cans of black, then several cans of two-pack clear, you're going to be at least around $200.

i'd just say phuck it and get it done properly. ask them to shoot you some touch up paint while you're going.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
My buddy said he'd paint mine if I did the prep for 150 including the sideskirts.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Yupp I just had to do the prep work. 150 includes primer paint clear and him painting them.

·
Bimmer enthusiast
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm getting mine done for $110 for paint, the rest the shop has and won't charge me, said I can always do my prep work and will get done quicker so I'm getting a sweet deal. Atleast I have a hand in having my bumper done.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Oh that seems a little high? I got quoted at 150 for front and rear bumpers plus side skirts.

·
Bimmer enthusiast
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's whatever, i know i'm getting quality out of mine. I got quoted 250-300 for just the one bumper at most other places. $150 for bumpers and sidskirts no doubt that's a deal. I reckon that is through a friend of yours no doubt.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Yeah it is but, he is still making money on it also. For paint and stuff its only like 75 bucks tops.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts