BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Painting my black door and bumper moldings!

1136 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  jburns
Turned out not to be too difficult at all. The front and rear just snap in and out. You just have to be careful not to break any of the clips which are part of the bumper sections. Prior to removing the door molding, just make sure you have plenty of new clips because they are separate and most likely will break. Also, you have to be careful not to snap the door moldings in two! I have the front done so far. I am happy with how its looking. I am using the bumper spray paint, about 3 coats, and then 3 coats of clear gloss. :thumbup:

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Looks good. I am interested to see how this holds up over time. My experience has been that the spray can gloss becomes not gloss pretty fast.
Turned out not to be too difficult at all. The front and rear just snap in and out. You just have to be careful not to break any of the clips which are part of the bumper sections. Prior to removing the door molding, just make sure you have plenty of new clips because they are separate and most likely will break. Also, you have to be careful not to snap the door moldings in two! I have the front done so far. I am happy with how its looking. I am using the bumper spray paint, about 3 coats, and then 3 coats of clear gloss. :thumbup:
I was thinking about just leaving it flat black. I think it looks good either way. As long as it isn't gray anymore.
In case someone is wondering how the molding on the doors and on the quarter panel comes off, like I was wondering, here is a picture of it that shows the clips and how the black molding attaches to it. I was able to reuse most of these clips, however, a few did break upon removal. My local dealership charges $2 apiece for them! Ugh... And a few pics of the finished rear bumper and license plate light holder.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.