BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got wheels that need to be redone, with no rash or a bent rim. How much do places usually charge just to strip and repaint them? Should I just purchase new ones? They are 17's but they are in bad shape paint wise. Is there a particular process I should be looking for (i.e powder coat w/clear, or paint with clear)?

·
Mmm...Reeeeed
187 Posts
Most places that powder coat or paint rims can fix the scratches and road rash for 20-30 per rim. Makes it look like new again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats ur approach? to be sporty or classy?
My approach is to be sporty not bling bling. Is there a recommendation for color?:D Color on the car is arctic silver , I will tray and get pics up of how bad they look.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most places that powder coat or paint rims can fix the scratches and road rash for 20-30 per rim. Makes it look like new again.
Thanks a mil.... Thats what I needed, a base of where the prices should be. Luckily I have no rash just major chipping all over the paint. How much should the price vary? What should I look for (in terms of what should be included with the price)? Just don't want to get ripped off:thumbdwn:

·
e39 m5 touring aspirant
1,725 Posts
anything machine polished should be good. alot of the festers here like going with the bbs look. i do, but ive got little time lately to detail them while cleaning the car...thats why i got black 6 spoke rims that are sporty and easy to clean...:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True, the machined look is pretty nice. Would they just chem dip to get the wheel to the bare metal phase and then clear coat or just put on a coat of wax? Would that process be cheaper and easier to care for?

Thanks for the ideas my man....:bigpimp:

·
e39 m5 touring aspirant
1,725 Posts
honestly i dont know the whole process...on my old wheel, it was badly bent...they resurfaced it, then dipped, then polished, then clear coated...thank God it was a two piece...

·
Registered
520 Posts
if you dont have any serious damage I would have the wheel soda blasted, washed, primed, and painted. Should be like 100 a wheel all said and done. You dont want to have the wheel acid dipped because only very special places have the right paint that will work, its something to do with the electrically charged dipping stuff.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"soda blasted"....?Sand blasted.....?....lol I will do Mr pib plz. But thanks army for the extra tip, so around 30-100 so far is the consensus for getting wheels done? Time to start shopping around for quotes.

·
L C B
1,283 Posts
what type of wheels are we talking here? pics?

2 piece wheels tend to cost alot more to refinish because to do a good job they must be taken apart. It is recommended that you DO NOT reuse the bolts that hold the wheels together as well, which adds another expense. Theres alot of guys on bimmerforums, particularly 3 series guys who are into refinishing the BBS 2 piece wheels. Seen some very nice style 5 refinishes lately. Most of them reuse the bolts too, often having to rethread them. scary :)

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Wheels America will straighten bent wheel and clean and paint and do it overnight literally for $ 110 per wheel so painting only should be less. Call them and negotiate.

They do do it overnight, seriously. In today p/u tomorrow.

You do not want to strip aluminum cast wheels to bare metal because cast alum is porous and its tough to get enough primer and top coat on to be smooth and glossy.

Yes they do use peanut sheels and soda to blast wheels for light cleaning vs sand blasting which is heavy duty paint and everything else removal.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts

2 piece wheels tend to cost alot more to refinish because to do a good job they must be taken apart. It is recommended that you DO NOT reuse the bolts that hold the wheels together as well, which adds another expense. Theres alot of guys on bimmerforums, particularly 3 series guys who are into refinishing the BBS 2 piece wheels. Seen some very nice style 5 refinishes lately. Most of them reuse the bolts too, often having to rethread them. scary :)
You are right on on the bolt re-use. It is a very bad practice.

The old ones should be trashed and new ones installed and torqued properly. And to torque properly the thread has to be new and very clean and lubricated with the recommended lube that comes with the bolts. Otherwise you will not get an accurate torque reading. Your gage will read the cortect torque but if the thread is encountering debris, friction and roughness it will not be tighten sufficient to generate the correct clamping force.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Powder coated will have superior weathering resistance compared to wet (liquid) painted.

·
Registered
520 Posts
"soda blasted"....?Sand blasted.....?....lol I will do Mr pib plz. But thanks army for the extra tip, so around 30-100 so far is the consensus for getting wheels done? Time to start shopping around for quotes.
the term sand blasting is commonly used to describe the entire blasting world. However 99.99% of people dont used sand because it can damage things rather quickly. Soda is just one type of blast, its quite literally baking soda but it wont do any damage to anything unlike other types of media.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Stop in a hot rod shop in your area or a good body shop that does excelent work and ask them for a reference to a good powder coating shop.

·
Registered
904 Posts
FYI...I was quoted 100 per wheel for powder coating one piece 17" paint/clear coat wheels. talked them down to $350 for all 4. ( and then never did it/sold the car...)

·
Registered
401 Posts
i got a hook up that will do all 4 for 150... hes a good friend that owns a meta business... but i need to get some rash fixed on my BBS' thats what im not looking forward to...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

We are talking about 1 piece 17's. Been busy with other projects, so no time for pics. But fret not I will come through.

Wheels America will straighten bent wheel and clean and paint and do it overnight literally for $ 110 per wheel so painting only should be less. Call them and negotiate.

They do do it overnight, seriously. In today p/u tomorrow.

You do not want to strip aluminum cast wheels to bare metal because cast alum is porous and its tough to get enough primer and top coat on to be smooth and glossy.

Yes they do use peanut sheels and soda to blast wheels for light cleaning vs sand blasting which is heavy duty paint and everything else removal.
Looked into wheels America and will consider that as a last resort if nothing in town pans out. Never thought they would use peanut shells as a medium. Thanks for the insight

the term sand blasting is commonly used to describe the entire blasting world. However 99.99% of people dont used sand because it can damage things rather quickly. Soda is just one type of blast, its quite literally baking soda but it wont do any damage to anything unlike other types of media.
Yeah I know just trying to be a bit humorous. When I said soda....?

Stop in a hot rod shop in your area or a good body shop that does excelent work and ask them for a reference to a good powder coating shop.
Thats a pretty good idea. I have a friend that owns a shop that I haven't talked to in a while. I will have to see if he knows some one.

FYI...I was quoted 100 per wheel for powder coating one piece 17" paint/clear coat wheels. talked them down to $350 for all 4. ( and then never did it/sold the car...)
Thanks for the reference as I am still in the process of searching. So what did you replace the car with.....?

i got a hook up that will do all 4 for 150... hes a good friend that owns a meta business... but i need to get some rash fixed on my BBS' thats what i'm not looking forward to...
For that price I am sold. LMK by pm if the hook up is just for you or for all fest participants...lol if not then hit me up with pics. Are you doing the powder coted route or something else..?

Thanks all for the great suggestions and I will try and post pics of before/after. If anyone else has a hookup or site referral pls LMK, the more quotes the better.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thanks for the reference as I am still in the process of searching. So what did you replace the car with.....?

That was my E34, replaced that with my current E39

1 - 20 of 20 Posts