BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago, I hit a pot hole and I immediately started hearing a loud rattling inside the car. It turns out the panel behind the rear seat that houses the speakers is loose. It continues to rattle to the point where the speaker cover has dislodge. My question is where is the best place to have this repaired? I'm thinking a body shop.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Are your referring to the rear shelf panel or the metal structural panel that the speakers are secured to? :dunno: The shelf panel can be easily removed and reinstalled. Do a Google search for "BSW e39 rear speaker installation". There are YouTube videos that show how to remove and reinstall the panel. The metal structural panel would need to be welded.

·
Registered
74 Posts
+1 on Fudman's reply. Before taking it to the shop and asking them to diagnose the problem, you can disassemble the rear seat pretty quickly to see if the shelf panel has been jarred loose. Another good place to look is for the DIYs on replacing the rear shocks...to get to the top of the shock towers you have to take the rear panel or deck and speakers out so those posts show how to remove the rear seat as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@DLadd-Its interesting you mentioned the rear shocks. I had them replaced in October. I'm wondering could this be the result of that panel not being properly re-installed

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Definitely sounds like it. Cause and effect. That would be where I would look first. Do a visual inspection. If it is the panel, bring it back to them and have them, redo it. Of course, they will probably redo it incorrectly as they have already demonstrated they do not know what they are doing. Better to do it yourself and know it was done correctly. Here is the DIY procedure:

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/rear_shocks_procedure.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts