Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the compliments and questions I have been answering in other threads here I thought I would make this thread up. We all love our cars and never get to see our cars in motion. Something about motorsports and my photography(side business and hobby) just connected.

Here are a couple shots of my panning and motion work w/ shot settings. Feel free to ask questions, post some of your motion/panning shots for C&C(Comment and Critique). Negative or positive. We can all improve :)

Post Away Guys! Ask Questions! Should be a fun thread!

Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/18
Focal Length: 147 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture: f/13
Focal Length: 183 mm

Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 209 mm

Aperture: f/9
Focal Length: 147 mm

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2

Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 31 mm

Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 20 mm

Exposure: 0.02 sec (1/50)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 36 mm

Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 17 mm

·
an audience of One
7,860 Posts
After the compliments and questions I have been answering in other threads here I thought I would make this thread up. We all love our cars and never get to see our cars in motion. Something about motorsports and my photography(side business and hobby) just connected.

Here are a couple shots of my panning and motion work w/ shot settings. Feel free to ask questions, post some of your motion/panning shots for C&C(Comment and Critique). Negative or positive. We can all improve :)

Post Away Guys! Ask Questions! Should be a fun thread!
The pics look awesome :thumbup:. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being 'no photoshop at all' and 10 being 'massive amounts of photoshop', how much pshoping, if any did your pics receive?

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Here are a couple.

168mm @ f/9 and 1/80 ISO 100 handheld, no image stabilization

120mm @ f11 and 1/200 ISO 100 handheld, no image stabilization

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Something I learned along the way is slower shutter speeds generally produce better results - also, I now would probably work a bit more with the ISO for the night shots (I kept everything at the camera's best quality setting of ISo 200 for these) - I needed to go with slower shutter speeds for my tractor shots - the only way to have done it - in bright sunshine - would've been to pile up neutral density filters, stopping down the light and allowing for better motion.

The other thing I'm going to do is use continuous focus next time - I kept the camera on servo focus - that is, the shutter doesn't fire till you acquire focus. In continuous focus mode, the camera keeps focus the whole time, allowing a shot to be made when you're ready, not the camera.

·
Registered
199 Posts
dinanm3atl said:
Part 2

Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 31 mm
Nice pics - are you just hanging out the passenger window taking these, or back of a van, or what? (can't quite tell from the reflection in the front bumper of the Rover)

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Ed and Cliff, you boys are knocking it out of the park! :thumbup: How much photoshop?
Thanks Mark,

For these, a bit of cropping and some color correction (mostly to add more blacks) was about it - I really try hard to get it right in the camera.

I have done the occasional heavy PS, but mostly for effect, or when I'm trying to make something out of not much :eeps::)

Thanks again.

Ed

·
an audience of One
7,860 Posts
Thanks Mark,

For these, a bit of cropping and some color correction (mostly to add more blacks) was about it - I really try hard to get it right in the camera.

I have done the occasional heavy PS, but mostly for effect, or when I'm trying to make something out of not much :eeps::)

Thanks again.

Ed
Ed, yeah, they look like they were awesome straight from the camera :thumbup:

Scotty's old car??
Jon, Scott still has the M3. I helped him detail it for SEMA :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some great shots here, especially the surfing pic Jon.

Here are some of my best pans from Sebring 08.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts