Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and found tons of info here on issues with the mechanical function of the sunroof but I'm hoping someone has an easier way to fix a falling liner than to pull the entire sunroof and risk issues with alignment on reinstall. Anyone know if there is a way to pull the pano shade without removing the glass? I think I'd rather drop the whole headliner than pull the glass but maybe that's not really possible. Also, looking for an approach that can be done by one person if possible. Extra set of hands is hard to come by these days.

Thanks
James

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've searched and found tons of info here on issues with the mechanical function of the sunroof but I'm hoping someone has an easier way to fix a falling liner than to pull the entire sunroof and risk issues with alignment on reinstall. Anyone know if there is a way to pull the pano shade without removing the glass? I think I'd rather drop the whole headliner than pull the glass but maybe that's not really possible. Also, looking for an approach that can be done by one person if possible. Extra set of hands is hard to come by these days.

Thanks
James
Pulling the glass is much easier than dropping the headliner. It's just 6 screws front, 4 screws back glass, pull towards the back of the car. Make sure you mark a circle around the bolts so alignment is easy. Add blue loctite before install. Make sure you have at least 2 moving blankets on top of the car to prevent scratching, dropping the glass, etc...one person can do it, and I did it as one person. Once the glass is off, you can just unscrew the headliners. More sunroof info on my channel in the sig.

As for the fabric, only thing I can think of is applying 3m Fabric Adhesive spray....but it may bleed through a beige headliner....only real cure to the whole issue imo is entirely re-upholster the floating headliner/buy a new floating headliner/get one from a salvage yard.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks frisbee. Headed to your channel to study up before attacking it. Was planning to try the 3m spray approach first and just replace if it bleeds. Had good results in the past with light spray and let it get tacky before getting the liner on it. Was also considering just getting a leatherette fabric to match the seats and using that if the clearance isn't too tight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. Got the glass out, no problem and was able to wiggle the shade out from under the mechanicals. Used Gorilla glue spray adhesive and it seems to have worked well. Not perfect since the foam was a little deteriorated. Will end up pulling it again down the road and replacing with something else but for now, no more sagging material.

Next up, oil pan gasket. Parts should be arriving tomorrow...

·
LA->NYC
7 Posts
You made it sound easy! I've been dreading this mostly cause I may need to do it outside where I have light. Just haven't figured out how to replace or re-glue fabric as my foam is def all falling off. Any ideas on replacement fabric/padding?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't taken that step yet but was thinking of getting some faux leather at the local hobby store to try it. It should be about the same thickness of the fabric and foam. Not looking forward to scraping the foam off though. To make it look good you have to make sure you get everything off then sand it smooth. Even small residual material will show up once glued.

So far the gorilla glue is holding up pretty well and never bled through.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You made it sound easy! I've been dreading this mostly cause I may need to do it outside where I have light. Just haven't figured out how to replace or re-glue fabric as my foam is def all falling off. Any ideas on replacement fabric/padding?
For emergency: cover up seats/doors with moving blankets, etc. Cut/remove the old headliner...bits/pieces of adhesive will get all over. Spray "3M adhesive remover" linked below, wait, then with a bondo scraper or garage vacuum remove all adhesive....comes off very quickly. Clean slider channels, cover bare surface of board with tyvek tape.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03618-Adhesive-Remover-oz/dp/B000BQYA7W

For actual re-upholstery: Haven't actually done it, but how I would do it (I learn by trial+error, so I dunno if this will actually work, but my guess is it most likely will): Remove board, remove all adhesive with that trick described above (I wouldn't sand since that's now how it came from the factory...imo fabric quality on the E83 is not as water resistant compared to the F25 and above, that's why these issues happen). Buy any fabric you want. Maybe this: https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.c...lImntLor8DGGOAm27t0Jl6YEPfNjM304aAt3aEALw_wcB

Flat table, with roller, spray 1 coating layer on the board, then slowly, row by row, spray adhesive (keeping track of number of passes till I find the "proper number of passes for each row"), and layer on the headliner...kinda like tinting a window, let dry, cut to size/make the "factory folds" near the top/bottom of board. Done.

Headliner Adhesive: https://www.amazon.com/3M-38808-Headliner-Fabric-Adhesive/dp/B004MEBENM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts