BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 xi Touring wagon with Navigation package.
Yes it happened to me although possibly with a happy ending. And a DIY fix that might help others.
Got in my car today and realized the pano sun roof was open all night! Could have killed myself. Yes big rain too... very not good Daddy.
There was plenty of water. The car started and showed an electrical malfunction.
I dried off the center console and the warning light/malfunction went off.
After checking all the controls the Idrive controller in the center console was not responding at all. The navigation system display and stereo were working fine with audio & steering wheel controls.
Anyway found out I have comp. insurance for this with $500 deductible, dealer would charge $880 with labour to replace controller.
Later I decided to blow out the controller with compressed air and it WORKED!
I hope it stays that way... concerned about left over moisture causing future problems.

The carpets in the rear are very wet. I've soaked up as much as I can and will continue to dry things out.

I'm worried about the moisture getting trapped in the console and under the carpets causing serious damage. Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Pull the rear seat out & pull up the carpet ( not out, just up). Vacuum out any water you can, squeeze the water out of the pad too. Stick something plastic under the carpet to prop it up. Leave a box fan going in the car pointed at the floor so the air gets under the carpet. You might have to leave it like that a few days. Or, you can let it air dry & run the risk of mildew.

As for the electrical...think cell phone. They work after you dry them out in a bag of rice. But, eventually they malfunction. Your car will probably do the same if you don't replace the parts that got wet.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. So far so good. Is rear seat removal something I could handle? I've got mechanical experience and plenty of tools.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I would be careful with any connectors that might have gotten wet. Isopropyl alcohol cleaning with a q tip would be prudent and allow to dry. Long term corrosion in modules and connectors is what i would be concerned with. I fully agree with the guy saying to pull up carpet and blow fan under it for days. I did this after Hurricane Ike when sunroof allowed water to get in but it wasn't a BMW (older Honda). Mold is a serious thing and should be promptly addressed.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Certain models can be programed to close the sunroof and windows if the sensor detects rain.

The only problem, you have to leave your wipers on auto.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2020 FU: Thanks for your help everyone! For the record my vehicle has worked fine after drying out the console and carpets. Did not remove seats or carpets. Did soak up all water on carpets with puppy pads and some heavy books. Kept venting car as much as possible to aid dry out. No musty smell or malfunctions. This car has so many amazing features, why not auto close roof and windows when locking ca, duh...

·
Registered
198 Posts
This car has so many amazing features, why not auto close roof and windows when locking ca, duh...
Bimmercode app in your favorite appstore can do this, you will need a K+DCAN cable or wireless OBD plug, I suggest never using wireless when coding your car but that isn't necessarily the popular opinion since a lot of people use Carly and it only works via wireless (why I wont use it).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts