BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my i3 for about a month. Love it. Decided to try park assist tonight. It ended up scratching the rim and tire pretty badly. I called the dealership right away. Unfortunately service was closed so I called the salesman I worked with. He asked me to send him these pics so he could show his manager. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance for any replies.

photo IMG_6298_zpsuzjk6xvy.jpg

photo IMG_6299_zpsfwirnnhv.jpg

photo IMG_6300_zpsfffoqxxy.jpg

photo IMG_6301_zpseooflj8i.jpg

photo IMG_6302_zps3wzv4nyg.jpg

photo IMG_6305_zpsvpghgpcz.jpg

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Just curious but how do you prove to the dealership that it was park assist that did that, and not you? I am not accusing you of anything believe me. I have always avoided the self parking features of cars because of fears like what you show there, and how one would "prove" " it was the car, not me" if any damage happened.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious but how do you prove to the dealership that it was park assist that did that, and not you? I am not accusing you of anything believe me. I have always avoided the self parking features of cars because of fears like what you show there, and how one would "prove" " it was the car, not me" if any damage happened.
That's what sucks. I can't prove it. i was hoping I wasn't the only one which is why I'm posting here. I figured if it was a known problem BMW would do something for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what sucks. I can't prove it. i was hoping I wasn't the only one which is why I'm posting here. I figured if it was a known problem BMW would do something for me.
I guess I could also bring it to the dealership and try the feature out in hopes it does the same thing.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I guess I could also bring it to the dealership and try the feature out in hopes it does the same thing.
Better to try it at that same spot since something tricked the computer on that street.

Isn't there a logging of these autonomous features, something like what tesla does? Did you have to sign any waiver about them collecting your driving history?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
That might be an option... take out your smartphone camera and film the car parking in the exact same spot and hope it does it.

Otherwise, you will likely be using your insurance to fix it, or your wheel and tire plan if you bought one. You would have to have something to prove the car did everything... otherwise even a reasonable person might assume that this was being used as a crutch to get damage caused by the person fixed.

For what its worth, I have not seen anyone else on bimmerfest post about a self parking (parking assist) situation like yours.

I dont have parking assist myself, but the driver is still behind the wheel and in charge of the car, right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same

I tried my parking assist on the 3rd day I had the car and the same thing happened. I called the sales rep immediately and he asked me to come see the service manager. The service manager seemed very concerned and took the car in, after a few days the SM called to say they couldn't figure it out but it was consistently "climbing the curb" and they had elevated it to BMW USA in NJ and then on to BMW in Munich. They ordered a new parking module and told me I could come get the car.

A few weeks later, I called to check on the part and they told me to bring it in. The SM told me all of BMW was watching my car and that they were videotaping the tests after replacing the module for the Germans to watch. I few days later, he called me back to tell me that the car continued to the same thing and that they pulled a new car off the showroom floor that did this as well. The next day, he called me to tell me that the official word from BMW is that this option is called "parking assist" and that it is not meant to be fully autonomous, that they were repairing the wheel and would call me in a few days. Honestly after driving a loaner for 12 days of the first 6 weeks of ownership I didn't care any more. I just wanted my car back. I haven't tried to use this option again and probably never will.

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3, 2020 Arcimoto FUV
1,484 Posts
On the Facebook group there are multiple instances of people reporting damage from the park assistant.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the Facebook group there are multiple instances of people reporting damage from the park assistant.
Could you post a link to the group you're talking about? Thanks.

Quick update. I talked to BMW NA. Specifically the i group and explained what happened. The rep suggested I bring the car to my local dealership so they could run a diagnostic. He also wanted me to have the service manager contact the area management team. Luckily the area manager happened to be visiting the dealership that day (yesterday). I got a loaner and am waiting to see what they find out. Fwiw they didn't seem surprised about the problem - almost like they've seen it before. And the BMW NA rep told me about 2 cases he's handled. So I'm glad I'm not alone. Will update here when I have news. Thanks to everyone who has replied.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts