Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2004 BMW 330CI and took my car to the dealership a few days ago for the 15k maintenance.

The main thing I wanted them to fix was the delay that occurs when going from Park to Drive on a cold start. Whenever I turn on my car and shift to Drive it feels like the car is in neutral and if I rev the engine it just raises the RPM's and does not go forward. Only after 2-30 seconds does my car actually start moving and usually jerks forward if the rpms are high. On a cold start, if I go into reverse, the car is able to reverse right away but again when I go into drive, the delay occurs.

This happens every day and i'm sure it is NOT a normal occurrance with bmws. I've been browsing through the forums and it seems that Bmw Tis 24 07 03 is the bulletin that was put up regarding the car issue, pasted below.

================================================== ================
SIB 24 07 03 Feb 2004
Automatic Transmissions Service Engineering

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SIB24 07 03 dated December 2003

Subject
GM5: Delayed P to D Engagement on Cold Start

Model
E46 with GM5: 325iA, 325xiA, 325xiTA, 330xiA from 09/02 up to 12/03

E46 with GM5: 325CiA, 325CicA, 330iA, 330CiA, 330CicA, 325iTA, from 03/03 up to 12/03

E53 X5 3.0iA with GM5 from 09/02 up to 12/03

E83 X3 3.0iA with GM5 from introduction up to 12/03

Situation
Customer may complain of delayed P to D engagement (2 to 30 seconds) during the first cold start in the morning

Cause
Unfavorable tolerances of C1 clutch housing causing internal transmission pressure leakafter extended (overnight) parking

Correction
ON A CUSTOMER COMPLAINT BASIS ONLY, after verifying the above mentioned situation,
REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION WITH THE IMPROVED UNIT

For transmission replacement procedure refer to RA 24 00 048 found in BMW TIS.

Important

Gm5 automatic transmissions replaced under the terms of this Service Information DO NOT require any technical Hot Line authorization contact number.

PARTS INFORMATION

Part Number Description Quantity
07 12 9 900 047 M12x1.5 self locking nut for output flange 3
24 00 7 515 157 GM5 trans for 325xiA/xiTA from 09/02 up to 03/03 1
24 00 7 523 279 GM5 trans for 325xiA/xiTA from 03/03 1
24 00 7 515 279 GM5 trans for 330xiA from 09/02 up to 03/03 1
24 00 7 523 281 GM5 trans for 330xiA from 03/03; and X3 3.0A 1
================================================== ================

Now here's my dilemna, I called the bmw service center to see when my car would be fixed and they gave me some response that they called the main office about my car problem and checked the computers for any error codes and found none that were suspicious. They then went about telling me that the BMW is a sophistcated machine and needs time to build up pressure and fluids on a cold start. And that this was a normal occurrance with bmws.

My question is, are they trying to pull a fast one over me and not fix my vehicle that is under warrantee? And if they are, what steps should I go about in order to force or make them fix my car when it is indeed not functioning as it should and there is a fix available as posted by the TIS.

-Steve

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
I had the same problems with my car. I took delivery of it in January 2004. After replacing the coils last month, I have not noticed any problems with the delay, but now since you brought up this recall, I will be much more observant of the delay problem. If there is a problem, I will visit the dealership with that copy and see what they say; I'll post on this thread what they say...I hope your dealership fixes the problem, your car is well within warranty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Total BS

I hope they don't think that you're going to eat that bullsh*t with a spoon. :dunno: The TIS summarizes your problem, and w/a TIS written up, it's obviously a recurring issue. Talk to the Service Manager, who hopefully is not an idiot too, and get your car repaired.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
330ximd said:
I had the same problems with my car. I took delivery of it in January 2004. After replacing the coils last month, I have not noticed any problems with the delay, but now since you brought up this recall, I will be much more observant of the delay problem. If there is a problem, I will visit the dealership with that copy and see what they say; I'll post on this thread what they say...I hope your dealership fixes the problem, your car is well within warranty.
Actually I think the updated version of the SIB report is to just update the software and no longer replace the transmission. But I don't think they did that to my car either. So I will go and call them up and ask to speak to the service advisor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Steptronic Delay

I took mine in two weeks ago with a copy of the TIS number (BMW TIS 24 07 03 Dated Feb 2004). The dealer changed or updated the software. Since then, no problems. Demand they upgrade the software. Worked wonders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts