BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Used to be you could set Parked Car Ventilation to "on" in iDrive and the settings would remain there until you changed it. Now you have to set it every time you want to use it -- kind of a nuisance.

I'm referring to the ability to keep the interior ventilation system running in temperatures about 77 degrees, when the car is parked.

Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
88 Posts
On the 2008 550i, you have to set it every time you park to come on at a certain time, like just before you come out of work. Claim that is done to prevent battery drain.

Welcome to the future!

·
Love the 'Fest
731 Posts
I wonder if you can make it one of your 6 iDrive shortcut button settings on the LCI?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm not referring to the timer-driven ventilation, but rather the ability to activate the HVAC system by hitting the "rest" button while you're sitting in a hot car with the key is in the ignition. It's a different feature in the Climate section of the iDrive menu. You have a "Rest" button on the ride-side temperature control, but this button won't work otherwise.

On the 2008 550i, you have to set it every time you park to come on at a certain time, like just before you come out of work. Claim that is done to prevent battery drain.

Welcome to the future!

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts

Welcome to the future!
You can set it to turn on at a preset time????? Cue Johnny Carson: "I did not know that."
I have to RTFM for that :):thumbup::rofl:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not referring to the timer-driven ventilation, but rather the ability to activate the HVAC system by hitting the "rest" button while you're sitting in a hot car with the key is in the ignition. It's a different feature in the Climate section of the iDrive menu. You have a "Rest" button on the ride-side temperature control, but this button won't work otherwise.
Hmm, I must be blind. Don't see a "rest" button or anyth:dunno:ing in the manual as you describe on my '08.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They might have redesigned the HVAC controls on your car. I have an '07, and the "Rest" button sits within the right-side ring that controls the passenger temperature. You have no button inside that ring?

Hmm, I must be blind. Don't see a "rest" button or anyth:dunno:ing in the manual as you describe on my '08.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, no, that's something different.

As I mentioned above, I'm referring to the feature that allows you to keep the fan blowing while you're sitting in the car while the engine is off and the KEY IS IN THE IGNITION when you press the "Rest" button on the right side. According to the owners manual, that button will function up to 77 degrees F, unless you override it in iDrive.

In previous version of iDrive, that override feature was not reset each time you started the car. Now it is, and that makes no sense.

You can set it to turn on at a preset time????? Cue Johnny Carson: "I did not know that."
I have to RTFM for that :):thumbup::rofl:

·
2007 550i, '13 X5, '02 X5
691 Posts
Used to be you could set Parked Car Ventilation to "on" in iDrive and the settings would remain there until you changed it. Now you have to set it every time you want to use it -- kind of a nuisance.

I'm referring to the ability to keep the interior ventilation system running in temperatures about 77 degrees, when the car is parked.

Anyone know about this?
Yup, you're right, it's now a one-shot setting, which needs to be reset every time you park the car before leaving it. I'm with you; I'd like it to stay persistently until cancelled, especially in the summer months! :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
They might have redesigned the HVAC controls on your car. I have an '07, and the "Rest" button sits within the right-side ring that controls the passenger temperature. You have no button inside that ring?
I do have a button within both right and left temp control knobs. The manual describes it as "Manual air distribution". Button has a little sitting man pictured, with air flow depicted low, middle and high. This is a selection button that allows you to pull up the airflow options in Idrive.

Again, nothing about "rest" in the manual.

Now, there is an option to allow you to heat the car using the engine's heat when the car is at rest and the engine is off. That feature only works in temperatures 77 and below. Sounds familiar. Manual calls that "Residual Heat".

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it must have been reconfigured for the '08 MY. Sometimes when you're sitting in a hot car, you want airflow from the HVAC system w/o having to run the engine. Prior to iDrive and the start/stop button, all one had to do was put the key in the ignition and turn it to position 2 to get airflow.

I do have a button within both right and left temp control knobs. The manual describes it as "Manual air distribution". Button has a little sitting man pictured, with air flow depicted low, middle and high. This is a selection button that allows you to pull up the airflow options in Idrive.

Again, nothing about "rest" in the manual.

Now, there is an option to allow you to heat the car using the engine's heat when the car is at rest and the engine is off. That feature only works in temperatures 77 and below. Sounds familiar. Manual calls that "Residual Heat".

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
You guys are talking about 2 different things. The ventilation thing is settable like an alarm clock, but the "rest" feature is activated on demand. There may have been some models where you could put this on a timer, but there's nothing in my manual about that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts