BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I just bought my first BMW X3. It had everything I wanted and it was a good deal. The one thing it did not have that I wasn't sure was important was parking assistance. Having now experienced this in a loaner, I wish I did have it. Is this something that can be added?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Unless BMW makes an explicit retrofit kit for that option, a dealer won't attempt it. Parking assist probably could be added after the fact (i.e. retrofitted) but it takes time and patience to research all the needed parts (cameras, control modules, wire looms, etc) and I imagine all those parts would cost more than having had the option added at the factory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a fan of parking assistant mainly because of where I live (just outside of Manhattan). Does anyone know if or how parking assistant could be used to back in to a spot?

Doubt it, but would be very useful

·
Registered
37 Posts
The camera screen displays guide lines that move in conjunction with the steering angle. I've backed into spots exactly between the lines using only this feature. It works flawlessly.

I am in NYC and have plenty of practice with parallel parking so I didn't think I needed the assistance feature, but it's been great to have.

·
Registered
189 Posts
From what I can tell Parking Assistant works for spaces that are easy to park in, it's the spaces not much longer than the car I want help with. It won't attempt those.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Hello All! I just bought my first BMW X3. It had everything I wanted and it was a good deal. The one thing it did not have that I wasn't sure was important was parking assistance. Having now experienced this in a loaner, I wish I did have it. Is this something that can be added?
Yes, you can buy aftermarket parking sensors. Personally, I think the rear camera is good enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts