BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally drove with my parking brake up one notch, however the parking brake light never came up on the dash. For some reason the light only comes on after you pull the parking brake past the 1st click. Is anybody elses parking brake like this? and did i do any damage while driving with it up one click? Car didn't feel funny and no burning smell. thanks in advance.

·
10,856 Posts
Does the parking brake still work? If so, you're fine.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
stan323i said:
I accidentally drove with my parking brake up one notch, however the parking brake light never came up on the dash. For some reason the light only comes on after you pull the parking brake past the 1st click. Is anybody elses parking brake like this? and did i do any damage while driving with it up one click? Car didn't feel funny and no burning smell. thanks in advance.
Parking brakes are just drum brakes. Even if you drove with it fully engaged, the only thing you're damaging is wearing down the parking brake shoe, and perhaps a little extra load on your engine.

No big deal.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I know a guy with an E46 M3 with SMG that has under 5000 miles on his car and is on his third set of e-brake shoes. They are quite pricey, not the think you want to burnt out due to negligence/stupidity/clumsiness. One set was due to his wife, he burnt out the second set himself.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Does anyone else's parking brake squeek when you get in and out of your car? I hate that... it sounds all ghetto and it makes me feel like I need to go on a diet. :tsk:

--SONET

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
dont have that problem but when i go to put the parking brake down it never fully disengages and i have to put it down even further.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
SONET said:
Does anyone else's parking brake squeek when you get in and out of your car? I hate that... it sounds all ghetto and it makes me feel like I need to go on a diet. :tsk:

--SONET
mine do. and i had my service rep tighten it. then i started to notice a ringing noise. took my car it and apparently my ebrake had been engaged and i basically ate the whole thing up. bmw tried to say it was my fault and that i had been driving with the ebrake up for hundreds of miles. f that. they ended up comping me the brake job (600+ dollars) because of all my aux fan problems. so now my brakes squeak but i just leave it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts