BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Among the Proud
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone seen this message? I could've sworn I once saw "Parking Brake Malfunction" but referencing the quick pic I took of the error, the title is what it actually said. Parking Brake! Vehicle May Roll. I can't find anything on this.

On the dash itself there's a yellow (P) light and PARK, as soon as the car is started (as opposed to just red PARK). But this issue has been very intermittent (twice in a few months). It goes away the next time it's started. The parking brake will not turn red (engage) when this occurs, but it's not stuck engaged when it's yellow either. It has auto hold but hardly use it. I want to be proactive with this since extended warranty is running out soon.

Pic:

'08 3.0si

·
Among the Proud
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there a different message the vehicle gives when it's time to do my brakes? I know I'm due soon (rotors too). But this error mentions parking brake.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just an idea:

You should hear parking brake actuators when you pull parking brake switch and open drives door. Ask someone to crouch near rear wheels and listen for that. If they do then there might be something wrong with parking shoes or rear rotors.... Or maybe one actuator works and the other doesn't

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,304 Posts
Jeep uses ZF transmissions, and the shift lever does not have a physical Park position (similar to BMW).
My X5 ZF has park indication and the technical description includes the park pawl.

I cannot move the X5 by hand while OFF.

·
bmw addict
1,345 Posts
The actuator for the parking brake is a common failure. With that said mine crapped out 6 months ago and I have the part just haven't had time to fix it and its been fine. It is parked every day on an incline as well so there is that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts