BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i have spent many days trying to get my parking brake/handbrake actuator working, the old one made awful grinding noise, then got yellow handbrake sign, I reset codes, worked fine then seized up again.

Now it has been replaced by a brand new bmw unit, but it cannot be coded to the vehicle so it is still not working. I have INPA 5.06, functioning cable and have installed as per instructions, I can access other modules but cannot read codes for EMF in INPA or using NCSexpert to execute job on EMF module as I was told it needs coded to the vehicle. Have checked fuses, tried to reset using 15 seconds press and got daten files from online, using port COM1 and latency 1ms, and have checked osb .ini files.

At a loss now as to what to do, has anyone experienced this, do I need to use winFKP to flash ECU ( a bit scared of this) and have no clue how to use it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

tx

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Do you just need to write the vin to the UIF? If so, then you need to use WINKFP

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do you just need to write the vin to the UIF? If so, then you need to use WINKFP
I hardly doubt that a VIN coding is necessary (I could be wrong since this is a new unit).

I had mine replaced a few months ago with a Salvaged one from a wrecked Bimmer and all the Indy did was reset the EMF with his generic Scanning Tool (I was present when he plugged it in) and everything is still functioning properly to date. Bear in mind that I use the Auto-H function daily so have put it through many cycles already.

·
Registered
256 Posts
hi,

i have spent many days trying to get my parking brake/handbrake actuator working, the old one made awful grinding noise, then got yellow handbrake sign, I reset codes, worked fine then seized up again.

Now it has been replaced by a brand new bmw unit, but it cannot be coded to the vehicle so it is still not working. I have INPA 5.06, functioning cable and have installed as per instructions, I can access other modules but cannot read codes for EMF in INPA or using NCSexpert to execute job on EMF module as I was told it needs coded to the vehicle. Have checked fuses, tried to reset using 15 seconds press and got daten files from online, using port COM1 and latency 1ms, and have checked osb .ini files.

At a loss now as to what to do, has anyone experienced this, do I need to use winFKP to flash ECU ( a bit scared of this) and have no clue how to use it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

tx
I think the new units come programmed to be in Shop Service Mode, any way you could use your scanning tool to activate/ initialize the EMF to Normal Mode might do the magic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks so much for the answers, I followed a tutorial on youtube and he replaces it for a reconditioned chinese one, he goes into inpa and clears error codes then goes into NCSexpert to 'code it'. Does not use winkfp

The point is I cannot get into the EMF section of INPA, it gives me a IFH-0009 No response from control unit error. Other modules connect, Similarily in NCSexpert it gives me an error when accessing EMF.

When I bought the unit from BMW they told me it would need coding first, should this be done in winkfp then? I have got a vague idea of whats going on in INPA and NCS but not winkfp....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi thanks falcon. I checked and removed three fuses according to the manual for parking brake. All ok. That's the video I have been following but he can clearly get into emf to clear errors whereas I cannot. Only difference is my module is brand new from factory which makes me think I need another step... I am following some emf posts from e90s and they are talking about coding a new module. About ready to throw the towel in ***x1f61e;

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi thanks falcon. I checked and removed three fuses according to the manual for parking brake. All ok. That's the video I have been following but he can clearly get into emf to clear errors whereas I cannot. Only difference is my module is brand new from factory which makes me think I need another step... I am following some emf posts from e90s and they are talking about coding a new module. About ready to throw the towel in ***x1f61e;
Did you ever manage to get your issue resolved?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts