BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fear for the safety of my shiny new BMW in Italy. It will be parked overnight on city streets in Tuscany and at the Tronchetto garage in Venice. Would a canvas car cover reduce the risk of vandalism and theft?

Any suggestions on where to buy such a cover in Munich? I've heard that prices at the Welt store are above the norm.

(N.B.: I attempted to reserve one of the limited number of caged "VIP" spots at the Tronchetto garage in Venice, but the Italians didn't really give me a confirmation number... Their email just said, "Call an attendant when you arrive, and we'll lead you to your parking space." Hmm.)

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
During my visit to Venice I chose to stay on the island of Lido. Took the car ferry from Troncheto and could sleep much better knowing my car was parked securely in the hotel parking lot. :D There is 24 hour water bus service between Venice and Lido.

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
Erm... you don't want an actual canvas car cover, bro. You must be talking about a cotton or a flannel car cover. And why would you want to lug that around with you on your trip, only to have to either throw it away at the end because it won't ship back in the car, or pack it as an extra piece of luggage or ship it home separately?

I have to admit I really don't get the whole fear factor thing. Whatever happens to the car is going to be fixed prior to redelivery. And the chances that something untoward is going to happen to it that's not caused by you during your trip are very small indeed.

Same for the fenced-off spaces at Tronchetto. Find someone when you get there and they'll let you into one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, canvas would be too harsh... I hope I can find a cover that is soft on the inside and looks low key on the outside.

I am not worried about any accidental damage to the car. I wish to avoid tempting vandals.

(Context: When my beautiful car was vandalized in San Francisco, the repairs didn't cost a penny and were executed to perfection. A week later there were no physical reminders of the incident. However, the emotional sense of violation and loss still lingered.)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I parked VIP at the Tronchetto last week. It was pretty wide open. Just come around to the fenced parking spaces on ground level and get out and get someone at the help desk to let you in there.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Just for completeness, here are the results (with links) of a web search today for current parking prices on the main approaches to Venice:

Tronchetto - regular parking - 21,00 ***8364; per day, discountable (see web page)
Tronchetto - VIP parking - 30,00 ***8364; per day, no discounts available

Piazzale Roma - S. Guiliano ("Yellow") - 5,00 ***8364; per day
-------"----------- "Blue" and "Red" - 12,00 ***8364; per day (limited free DP parking)

Garage San Marco (the big one where you need to leave your keys) - 30,00 ***8364; per day

Mestre - 4 lots, incl. one near the train station at Ca' Marcello for 4,00 ***8364; per day
Mestre - 10 peripheral lots, all near public transport. all free.

Hertz-Mattiazzo Parking Service (on the approach to Piazzale Roma) - no current price information (was 35,00 ***8364; per day several years ago). (No web page found.)

·
Registered
234 Posts
We parked our BMW at the Tronchetto on the first floor three weeks ago... and got a great WIDE spot with no chance of dings. It seemed that everyone parking there was going to Venice (i.e. tourists not vandals). I'm VERY particular about where I park my car, and felt it was perfectly safe at the Tronchetto (which did indeed turn out to be the case). We did see a few cars parked in the cages, and my wife and I wondered why anyone would do that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for setting my mind at peace about parking at the Tronchetto. This really helps.

Has anyone parked on the street in Cortona? My hotel there doesn't have reserved parking.

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
As a matter of fact, I've parked on the streets multiple nights in Cortona on three different trips with the only "incidents" being bird droppings. IMHO, you're way over-thinking this. Incidents of vandalism over there take the form of graffiti on buildings. Not on cars.

BTW, highly recommend dinner at La Bucaccia in Cortona. Notes on our most recents visit(s) in my trip report linked to my sig below. Have been there on three separate trips and it honestly is one of my favorite restaurants in the world. Yes, I said in the world. And Im fortunate enough to have been a lot of places. If you don't speak Italian, you'll be missing out on some of the fun, but it's still not to be missed.

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
932 Posts
I parked in Tronchetto and didn't have any problems. I don't recall reading of problems with Tronchetto on this forum. That said, when I went by Piazzale Roma, I wished I had parked there.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks everyone for setting my mind at peace about parking at the Tronchetto. This really helps.

Has anyone parked on the street in Cortona? My hotel there doesn't have reserved parking.
My Bavarian friends offer this advice: "Don't go to Italy; there are thieves there."

I'm just saying.

:(

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
My Bavarian friends offer this advice: "Don't go to Italy; there are thieves there."

I'm just saying.

:(
I wouldn't say that...........they don't necessary steal stuff. They might con you though.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
In my experience (3ED's with long stops in Venice) the public parking garage works and I have had no problems, I did not use the secure parking area which would have provided greater comfort if I was the type to obsess over my cars. However my M5 did suffer a scraped rear corner in Florence when parked in a secure garage by an attendant, he almost died when he tried to blame the scratchs on my 17 yr old son and said "it must have happened when he was driving". When confronted with the inspection form (showing no damage) that the attendant had filled out the night before when we turned the car over, he just shrugged, since he was all of 5'1" tall I let my 6'3" hockey player son have some quality intimidation time before I summoned the Police. When the raar arrived at my dealer no evidence of the crime remained, this is the one of the nice points of ED enjoy the trip and you get a perfect car when you return.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts