Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I purchased a '95 325is w/ auto trans two days ago I have noticed that the car actually seems to accellerate quicker from a standstill when pressing the pedal half-way verses flooring it. The engine seems to bog at full throttle when starting off. Since the car has 79k miles is it possible it is a fuel pressure problem? I have also noticed the engine seems to run better cold. Does anyone make lower temperture thermostats for BMW engines? Would it also help to add an additional electric fan to the radiator?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Here's a guess: sounds like the engine has lost some of its compression. To be expected in a high milage engine. New rings would cure it. But then, I'm not a mechanic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good Day. I don't want to begin an arguement, but 79k is not high enough mileage for a well cared for engine to need rings. I would be somewhat suspicious of a vacuum leak. Especially since the engine runs better when cold. I don't know where this particular engine has a tendency to leak from, but I would take a good look around for a loose or broken vacuum hose.

Mark

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
No arguement needed. Note the KIA disclaimer in my previous post: ie, I stated "I'm guessing" and "I'm not a mechanic", etc.

Good thought though on the vacuum leak. 80K is high, but not too bad for a german engine.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Engine troubles are difficult enough to diagnose, much more difficult when we can't experience it in person...Look at the three responses, we have three differing opinion as to what is wrong.

For all I know, from your description it COULD just be the ECU sensing a too lean mixture and cut back on the fuel when you're full throttle, which WOULD indicate a vacuum leak of the air intake somewhere, or it could simply be the traction control kicking in (if you have traction control...Wonder if '95 325i's come with TCS?) sensing an impending slip. Worse yet, it could be a slipping clutch if you have a manual. It can be a number of different things, my suggestion would be to take it to a local mechanic (since your car is outside of warranty) that is used to working on BMWs. Look at the back of your local BMWCCA chapter newsletters for a good shop nearby and they should be able to diagnose your problem and fix it.

·
10,856 Posts
ASC+T became standard in 1995. That may very well be doing it. Hit the ASC button before trying to hammer it. As I recall, wheelspin was VERY easy to obtain in my old '94 325i, so even with a slushbox, you'll probably have traction issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts