BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those that have done this or planning to do this, maybe you can help me out with buying and replacing what parts. I have a 2001 530i auto with 86k miles now. Please let me know what else should I replace or missing on list...and if you have the part # it would be great. So far this is what I have on my list from Beisan's site:

Beisan's vanos Seals
Vanos gasket (11-36-1-433-817)
Gasket sealer (Permatex High-Temp RTV) - recommended by MatWiz
2 x vanos oil hose/pipe washer (32-41-1-093-596)
valve cover gasket set (<09/02 11-12-9-070-990)
15 x valve cover bolt grommet (11-12-1-437-395)
oil fill neck gasket (11-12-7-526-447)
2 x vanos piston bolt (11-36-1-748-745)
4 x engine cover bolt/nut cap (11-12-1-726-089)
fan shroud rivet (17-11-1-712-963)

Adding the winterized CCV stuff as Fudman recommended.
CCV & Hoses/pipes:
Cold climate pressure regulating valve 11-61-7-533-400
Cold climate vent pipe 11-61-7-533-398
Cold climate connecting line 11-61-7-533-399
Cold climate vent hose 11-15-7-532-629
Return pipe 11-61-7-504-536
dipstick o-ring 11-43-1-740-045

*I am not planning to get the dipstick guide tube because its not really thhhhat cold here in NYC and its not a cheap part to just replace for the heck of it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't help with parts, but you should get a copy of the Bentley's manual.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/bm...BMW-5-Series-E39-1997-2002-Repair-Manual.html

This looks like a weekend project to me, at least, especially if you haven't been inside this engine before..
I wont be needing the Bentley's manual because theres no way this is a DIY for me. Dont have the tools or knowledge to start. I am just gathering up what I should buy so I can find someone to do this for/with me...or an indy. I just feel safer when I buy my own parts because at least I know what I am putting good stuff in there. Also, an indy usually dont replace the bolts or washer if they dont have to...but if I supply them with it, they should change it. So, how many hours of labor am I looking at here?

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
I am planning to do the same jobs soon For the VANOS & valve cover, as you know, the Beisan website has a list of all parts mrequired. Valve cover replacement is part of the VANOS job. I estimate the job to take about 6-7 hours for a rookie, if you take your time and are careful. They have a great detailed DIY.

For the CCV, I would recommend considering the cold weather variant if you do a lot of short trips in winter to prevent condensation buildup. You'll also need:
11-61-7-533-400 Cold climate pressure regulating valve 49.33
11-61-7-533-398 Cold climate vent pipe 21.06
11-61-7-533-399 Cold climate connecting line 25.40
11-15-7-532-629 Cold climate vent hose 11.53
Also get a dipstick o-ring (11-43-1-740-045).
You don't need the (11-72-7-545-323) vacuum hose. If you get the standard non-insulated parts, they are a bit cheaper. See RealOEM.com for the part numbers under 11 engine, 15 cylinder head, CCV. These were prices I paid at Bill Dodge BMW in Westbrook ME. Just set up an account with them to qualify for the discount.

I plan to post a DIY for the CCV when I finish. Most DIYs I have found for the CCV replacement are for M52s. We have the M54. This could be done in around 3-4 hours, if you do not take off the intake manifold (I do not plan to do so). BTW, Bentley's does not cover CCV replacement.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Don't forget the gasket sealer, like the Permatex High-Temp RTV.

There is a good DIY for the valve cover gasket here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-valve-cover/E36-Valve-Cover.htm

If you are "already there", change your spark plugs. You'll need to remove them anyway, so just go ahead and put the new ones in. That is, if you didn't replace them already recently.

Where in NYC are you? What neighborhood?

mw

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am planning to do the same jobs soon For the VANOS & valve cover, as you know, the Beisan website has a list of all parts mrequired. Valve cover replacement is part of the VANOS job. I estimate the job to take about 6-7 hours for a rookie, if you take your time and are careful. They have a great detailed DIY.

For the CCV, I would recommend considering the cold weather variant if you do a lot of short trips in winter to prevent condensation buildup. You'll also need:
11-61-7-533-400 Cold climate pressure regulating valve 49.33
11-61-7-533-398 Cold climate vent pipe 21.06
11-61-7-533-399 Cold climate connecting line 25.40
11-15-7-532-629 Cold climate vent hose 11.53
Also get a dipstick o-ring (11-43-1-740-045).
You don't need the (11-72-7-545-323) vacuum hose. If you get the standard non-insulated parts, they are a bit cheaper. See RealOEM.com for the part numbers under 11 engine, 15 cylinder head, CCV. These were prices I paid at Bill Dodge BMW in Westbrook ME. Just set up an account with them to qualify for the discount.

I plan to post a DIY for the CCV when I finish. Most DIYs I have found for the CCV replacement are for M52s. We have the M54. This could be done in around 3-4 hours, if you do not take off the intake manifold (I do not plan to do so). BTW, Bentley's does not cover CCV replacement.
Thanks for the detail reply. This is my daily drive so I average about 15-20/day for 5 days/week...dont know if thats consider short trips for you guys. With this in mind, would you still recommend me doing the cold weather variant? Or just replace hoses since they will get brittle after 100k (per cn90)? If so, which hoses should I replace while there?

So as for the valve cover gasket and the vanos jobs, I got all the parts covered on the list?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't forget the gasket sealer, like the Permatex High-Temp RTV.

There is a good DIY for the valve cover gasket here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-valve-cover/E36-Valve-Cover.htm

If you are "already there", change your spark plugs. You'll need to remove them anyway, so just go ahead and put the new ones in. That is, if you didn't replace them already recently.

Where in NYC are you? What neighborhood?

mw
Ok, I will add the gasket sealer to the list. The link for the DIY look so easy...haha. I would do the plugs if I didnt do them at 75k miles...11k miles ago.

I am in the boarder of Queens and Long Island....Douglaston area...near Macy's. Why, want to help? :D

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I would pass on:
oil fill neck gasket (11-12-7-526-447) - not needed on our cars. If you want it, I have a brand new one.
fan shroud rivet (17-11-1-712-963) - these are up to you, but were pretty solid on mine.

I would get 1 (one) vanos piston bolt only (correct torque - should not have a problem). If you break one (left hand thread), you won't break the next.

As said, get the winterized CCV.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Attached find the TBS on the cold weather CCV parts. You also need a new dipstick tube.
Thanks...where do you buy these stuff?
Insulate CCV with 2 hoses 11 61 7 534 237
Vent Hose 11 15 7 532 629
Dip Stick Guide Tube 11 43 7 565 437

I read alot of the DIY and other posts where ppl change their CCV and a few changed the hoses too...but none of them did they winterized CCV upgrade. How many of you actually did this? And does it really make that much of a difference? I cant justify paying $300 for a Dip Stick Guide Tube. How do I know if mine is bad or how long should the original last?

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
Thanks...where do you buy these stuff?
Insulate CCV with 2 hoses 11 61 7 534 237
Vent Hose 11 15 7 532 629
Dip Stick Guide Tube 11 43 7 565 437

I read alot of the DIY and other posts where ppl change their CCV and a few changed the hoses too...but none of them did they winterized CCV upgrade. How many of you actually did this? And does it really make that much of a difference? I cant justify paying $300 for a Dip Stick Guide Tube. How do I know if mine is bad or how long should the original last?
You don't need the dipstick guide tube unless you are experiencing a leak from your original. Just replace the o-ring. In fact, some have reused the O-ring.

Needing the winterized version of the CCV is due to a combination of of driving environment (outside temp) and style (number of short trips). NYC is not THAT cold so you may be able to get away with the regular version. However, the cost differential is minimal and I am going with the winterized version for peace of mind. I am on my second e39 and both have experienced the "blowing black smoke" at startup syndrome in winter. Hence, the winter CCV for me.

If you're gonna fix it, fix it right the first time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adding the winterized CCV stuff as Fudman recommended.

Beisan's vanos Seals
Vanos gasket (11-36-1-433-817)
Gasket sealer (Permatex High-Temp RTV) - recommended by MatWiz
2 x vanos oil hose/pipe washer (32-41-1-093-596)
valve cover gasket set (<09/02 11-12-9-070-990)
15 x valve cover bolt grommet (11-12-1-437-395)
oil fill neck gasket (11-12-7-526-447)
2 x vanos piston bolt (11-36-1-748-745)
fan shroud rivet (17-11-1-712-963)

CCV & Hoses/pipes:
Cold climate pressure regulating valve 11-61-7-533-400
Cold climate vent pipe 11-61-7-533-398
Cold climate connecting line 11-61-7-533-399
Cold climate vent hose 11-15-7-532-629
dipstick o-ring 11-43-1-740-045
*I am not planning to get the dipstick guide tube because its not really thhhhat cold here in NYC and its not a cheap part to just replace for the heck of it.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT63&mospid=47587&btnr=11_2194&hg=11&fg=15&hl=44

Will I be also needing part #7...the return pipe 11-61-7-504-536?

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
Yep, you need the return pipe. There is only one version available because it comes insulated. About $25. You can reuse any of the hoses/pipes but they all tend to get brittle over time some replacing them makes sense.

Gonna do mine this weekend. If all goes well, I'll post my DIY on Sun.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wont be needing the Bentley's manual because theres no way this is a DIY for me. Dont have the tools or knowledge to start. I am just gathering up what I should buy so I can find someone to do this for/with me...or an indy. I just feel safer when I buy my own parts because at least I know what I am putting good stuff in there. Also, an indy usually dont replace the bolts or washer if they dont have to...but if I supply them with it, they should change it. So, how many hours of labor am I looking at here?
FWIW, If you get Besian write up and with help from the crew on this site, it is a DIY for you. It's really not difficult at all. I recently did my entire cooling system and vanos and did my CCV with all new hoses this weekend. Not hard at all. Time consuming yes, difficult no.. As for time, it took me approx 2 hrs (the night before) to dismantle the cooling system but a lot longer (approx 6 hrs) to reassemble (a lot of beer and bathroom breaks). While putting back together I also did the Vanos. As for the CCV about 3 hrs due to various cursing while messing with the hoses.
Trust me when I say that I'm far from being a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will now updated my first list of items needed.

Yep, you need the return pipe. There is only one version available because it comes insulated. About $25. You can reuse any of the hoses/pipes but they all tend to get brittle over time some replacing them makes sense.

Gonna do mine this weekend. If all goes well, I'll post my DIY on Sun.
Great, I hope you will have a detailed DIY for someone like me. Even if I dont end up doing it myself, I would still love to understand it. BTW, you got all your parts at a BMW dealer?

FWIW, If you get Besian write up and with help from the crew on this site, it is a DIY for you. It's really not difficult at all. I recently did my entire cooling system and vanos and did my CCV with all new hoses this weekend. Not hard at all. Time consuming yes, difficult no.. As for time, it took me approx 2 hrs (the night before) to dismantle the cooling system but a lot longer (approx 6 hrs) to reassemble (a lot of beer and bathroom breaks). While putting back together I also did the Vanos. As for the CCV about 3 hrs due to various cursing while messing with the hoses.
Trust me when I say that I'm far from being a mechanic.
Either you are very brave or a very fast learner. I dont think I am brave enough to do it by myself without any guidance. Also, I do not have any tools at all...so I am by far from even a weekend mech.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
Call the BMW Parts Dept at Bill Dodge BMW in Westbrook ME. 207-854-3200. Ask for Dan Arsenault in BMW Parts. Just set up an account (at no cost). That's it. Shipping in the Northeast is very reasonable. They wil give you 40% off RealOEM.com retail prices. All parts are OEM BMW. Compare the prices I quoted in my earlier post with whatever you can get anywhere. You really can't beat it.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
How are you doing with these parts ill_kuma? What kind of arrangement do you have for this DIY? Do you have a home garage? Where do you plan to do this?

I sent you a message, check your visitor's messages.

mw

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How are you doing with these parts ill_kuma? What kind of arrangement do you have for this DIY? Do you have a home garage? Where do you plan to do this?

I sent you a message, check your visitor's messages.

mw
Just replied with a PM...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts