BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· livin large
7,613 Posts
no major engine parts will work off a 318 to a 325. and the valance, get one off a volvo. someone did the conversion not too long ago

· Old School
4,146 Posts
Go for same year parts from second hand yard. The problem with the 'e' engine is valve size (for a start) and the EMU. Put on all the manifolds you like and injectors that flow enought for a top fuelie and you still have a 325e - running rich. You need the 'i' head and emu/chip.

· Registered
151 Posts
Well you do have a 26 year old car.. don't expect it to be that responsive :p but I'm just gonna go out on a whim and say AFM or TPS? I'm not entirely sure if one of those contributes to the sharpness and responsiveness of the throttle or not.. :rolleyes:

· livin large
7,613 Posts
2 Stupid questions:
What is a EMU, apart from a oversize chick ?
Why not fit larger valves to the "e" head whilst gasflowing it ? Or is there a combustion chamber difference ?
engine management unit. its the term used more in american cars.

the main problem with the e head is the cam. since theres less bearings, its weaker, so it has to have that lower redline. ever seen a 4 bearing cam on a i6 go over 6k? it gets interesting.

the valves themselves are actually bigger then the "i".

· Nick's Toys
1,386 Posts
Does not want to Rev smoothly

Downhiller, thanks for the enlightenment :)
I think we only had the "e-motor" in the 5-series then :dunno:
DJHAYTER, are you getting enough fuel :yikes:
Terrains, I bet you that I can tune a 323 or 325 i to Rev as crisply with amazing throttle response, to beat most modern cars :D
The trap-door AFM is one of the culprits for making these cars feel sluggish and I would love to convert mine to a MAF, so when I go Turbo...

· Registered
151 Posts
Downhiller, thanks for the enlightenment :)
I think we only had the "e-motor" in the 5-series then :dunno:
DJHAYTER, are you getting enough fuel :yikes:
Terrains, I bet you that I can tune a 323 or 325 i to Rev as crisply with amazing throttle response, to beat most modern cars :D
The trap-door AFM is one of the culprits for making these cars feel sluggish and I would love to convert mine to a MAF, so when I go Turbo...
:rofl: I'll take your word on that. :thumbup: I've been doing some research around r3v, and people are doing a Miller MAF with their programmable W.A.R. chip. Everyone who's done it said the throttle response and sound was amazing. If I had $600 to spend right now, I'd probably get it :rolleyes:

· Nick's Toys
1,386 Posts
MAF to replace VAF

Problem is that the stock trap-door sends a 0-5v signal to the ECU whilst some MAF sensors have a constant voltage supply & check the difference in current.
i.e. a totally different signal is being generated, which you have to convert for the stock ECU or find a OEM ECU that can handle all stock signals and that of a MAF :dunno:
What air flow measuring device did the late, 93 or so, use ?

UPDATE:
I have just tested another MAF, this time from Toyota and see that it changes the voltage signal.
This means if I can find a suitable MAF to replace the VAF, I can change the signal curve with the Unichip :thumbup:
QED :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.