BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through the posts it looks like the LED upgrade is the one to do.

I am going to get some cheap ebay ones in White and see how they look.

The strange part is I am not getting any error codes on the car.

has anyone bought these and found them to be garbage?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought the MTEC set from a guy on eBay. With shipping I think I paid something around sixty dollars. I was having an SRX system installed and the front bumper was coming off anyway, so the guys who installed my radar/laser system did the install. Overall I have been pleased with the result. Big change from the factory, however, some of the BMW halo's I see on the road seem to be brighter. I think if I had it to do over I would try one of the other brands and spend the extra few bucks. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. so do you know of a writeup of how to do the swap? The bumper needs removed???

·
Registered
117 Posts
My set came with a DVD or instructions of some kind...seems like it was simple plug and play, but to get to the bulbs was something of a bitch. However, I didn't do it myself and have thrown away the box, so I am no help. The MTEC's and AIB's and all the others work the same way...just take the old ones out and put the new ones in...no new wiring or anything complicated. Seems like I remember that somebody did a pretty thorough piece on how to install them in a 745. I would just do a search on "install halo" or "install angel"

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, I found this thread that sounds like the same stuff.
and I do not need to remove the bumper by the sound of it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
cool, I found this thread that sounds like the same stuff.
and I do not need to remove the bumper by the sound of it.
If you have small hands, a lot of patience and don't mind your hands getting cut up, then you can do it without bumper removal on pre-facelift cars (which yours is). There is a metal support right behind the cover for the AEs. The lights will only slide forward a little bit once unbolted. You have to contort your hand in between the metal support and the light housing. The bulbs are very simple. Just untwist, unplug and remove.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
I would remove the bumper, i did mine w/o and if i did it again i would take the bumper off. Ps u only have to drop the bumper and inch or so not remove the whole thing...... I kave the aib and they look fantastic.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to attempt this, I will let you know how bad I scrape up my knuckles.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good Idea, terrone. I will do that

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got done and I did not remove the bumper. I quickly was able to remove the bulbs using 3.5g 's writeup I linked to above. It should be noted that his writeup was missing a few screws that you need to remove in order to access the rear of the headlight. This writeup explains which ones.

Also, the LED bulbs I got from ebay had two small set screws in the side of the LED. I needed to remove one of them in order to get it to seat in the bracket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.