Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today I got the letter from BMW Canada that they are doing recall for certain cars and X5 is one of them.. Anyone else got same letter? I will call the dealer tomorrow and find out if I am affected - hopefully I am not..

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts
I believe that US affected cars have had their recall letters for some time, I have.

I have decided to NOT have my passenger airbag replaced for fear of the damage consequent to the extremely invasive procedure by careless mechanics. Review WWw.NewTIS.info for the procedure.

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E70 X5 xDrive35d SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 72 Body parts and accessories / 72 12 Gas generators, airbag modules (with steering wheel airbag 3234) / 72 12 000 Removing and installing or replacing airbag module on passenger side

Necessary preliminary tasks: [ ... ] Remove instrument panel trim

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...dules-with-steering-wheel-airbag-3234/OduEm50

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
If you got the letter then your X5 should be included in the recall. I think they send them out based on vin #. I had my airbag replaced by the dealer near my home in the recall. I have not had any issues with the recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
218 Posts
I also got a letter regarding the airbag on my 335i last year. Dealer replaced it 4 months after getting the letter as they also wanted to do the blower motor wiring recall at the same time.

I work as a Toyota dealer technician and this airbag recall has been going on for quite some time now. It ended for a few months and now there’s a new batch of cars coming in for airbag replacements. We have 50 appointments booked today and at least half of them are for airbags. At least it gives us something to do as it’s dead season right now. A LOT of cars are affected by this, including Ferrari cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe that US affected cars have had their recall letters for some time, I have.

I have decided to NOT have my passenger airbag replaced for fear of the damage consequent to the extremely invasive procedure by careless mechanics. Review WWw.NewTIS.info for the procedure.

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E70 X5 xDrive35d SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 72 Body parts and accessories / 72 12 Gas generators, airbag modules (with steering wheel airbag 3234) / 72 12 000 Removing and installing or replacing airbag module on passenger side

Necessary preliminary tasks: [ ... ] Remove instrument panel trim

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...dules-with-steering-wheel-airbag-3234/OduEm50
what is the risk of not having it replaced? can it explode on its own? or what is the issue with these?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, my car is affected. the dealer said they need it for one full day and they done a lot of them already.. the issue is it might deploy with more force (if it deploys) so this could be dangerous to the passenger. I will probably wait a bit and get it replaced - now they are busy with these replacements..

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
BMW really wants those airbags replaced because the NHTSA is putting pressure on the manufacturers to get 100% of them replaced. I get phone calls monthly and a post card of some sort on the topic weekly.

I am holding out on the passenger airbag recall because (1) I am not in a climate with high humidity and given what I read on the issue that generated the recall, high humidity environment presents a higher risk and (2) I don't trust the service department to not trash my $2,000 optional nappa leather dash and (3) I think I may need some sort of leverage when my diesel emission parts start failing and the dealer gives me a hard time honoring the warranty replacement. If the latter comes to be, I'll trade them Scott free emissions part fix for knocking out one of the airbags that NHTSA is pressuring them to replace.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BMW really wants those airbags replaced because the NHTSA is putting pressure on the manufacturers to get 100% of them replaced. I get phone calls monthly and a post card of some sort on the topic weekly.

I am holding out on the passenger airbag recall because (1) I am not in a climate with high humidity and given what I read on the issue that generated the recall, high humidity environment presents a higher risk and (2) I don't trust the service department to not trash my $2,000 optional nappa leather dash and (3) I think I may need some sort of leverage when my diesel emission parts start failing and the dealer gives me a hard time honoring the warranty replacement. If the latter comes to be, I'll trade them Scott free emissions part fix for knocking out one of the airbags that NHTSA is pressuring them to replace.
i am with you here.. they said high humidity and temperature.. i am in British Columbia so yes - the humidity is supposed to be higher.. not the temperature though :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
yes, my car is affected. the dealer said they need it for one full day and they done a lot of them already.. the issue is it might deploy with more force (if it deploys) so this could be dangerous to the passenger. I will probably wait a bit and get it replaced - now they are busy with these replacements..

It actually takes just a few hours to do. They also told me my car would be there for a full day but they phoned me 2-2.5 hours after dropping it off that it’s done. And that included work on the blower motor recall. I was however given a loaner and I kept the car for 2 days lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
218 Posts

It actually takes just a few hours to do. They also told me my car would be there for a full day but they phoned me 2-2.5 hours after dropping it off that it’s done. And that included work on the blower motor recall. I was however given a loaner and I kept the car for 2 days lol.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Blower motor recall? Is that an old recall?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Blower motor recall? Is that an old recall?
Check his info, he has a E90. There is a blower motor recall for that car, not the E70.

Check where you;re posting and don't start rumors... :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had lots of apprehension about the passenger bag recall--as I too have the leather dash. It took less than three hours and the car is perfect. They must know a short cut, or they have done so many it's very routine.

Your results may vary...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Some have had other issues like the gps antenna cable being damaged with the passenger airbag recall

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
had my e46 and my e70 done w no issues. Im not fukking w airbags.

·
Kinda officially welcomed
389 Posts
E70 getting the airbag and idle bolt recall done today.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Thats a scary one! lol

1 - 20 of 59 Posts