Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just bought an older (2004) 525i, I work at a dealership (Toyota) and have owned BMW’s before. This car came in with a few issues, but I was able to buy it for $1500. Most of the issues were cosmetic (loose and hanging sunvisor, beat up front emblem, fog light out, curb rash on one rim), but it also had the check engine light on and the airbag light on. I ran the code on the check engine light and it was just a vacuum leak. I fixed that and the light went away. The air bag light is the problem. I called the local BMW dealer and had them look to see if it was covered under the recall, but the inservice date was April 2004 and the recall for the airbags only went 15 years. So I searched google and YouTube for different ways to fix this problem and found about 15 different ways to fix this problem. What is an “easy” fix that can save me some money and get that light off?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Don***8217;t you mean ensuring a correct repair so that you or future owners are not exposed to a situation that could result in personal injury. ;-)
Have you looked at Newtis.info for guidance on how to test and repair the problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello! I just bought an older (2004) 525i, I work at a dealership (Toyota) and have owned BMW’s before. This car came in with a few issues, but I was able to buy it for $1500. Most of the issues were cosmetic (loose and hanging sunvisor, beat up front emblem, fog light out, curb rash on one rim), but it also had the check engine light on and the airbag light on. I ran the code on the check engine light and it was just a vacuum leak. I fixed that and the light went away. The air bag light is the problem. I called the local BMW dealer and had them look to see if it was covered under the recall, but the inservice date was April 2004 and the recall for the airbags only went 15 years. So I searched google and YouTube for different ways to fix this problem and found about 15 different ways to fix this problem. What is an “easy” fix that can save me some money and get that light off?
what was the airbag code?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what was the airbag code?
That is one thing that is kinda weird. I had a guy do a diagnostic on the car and he said he could access everything on the car except the airbag system. He disconnected from my 2004 525 and hook up to his 2005 M5 and showed me where it should be. We went back to my car and still couldn’t get access with his system. Anyone experience that before?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same issue on mine (2006 525ix) which I think from researching is actually caused by a bad sensor mat in the seat itself.
Odd, because I don't think I have had anyone sit in that seat more than once or twice since getting the car around the beginning of the year.
I have seen a couple of items online to retrofit the system into "fooling" the car into not displaying the error.
I too, would like to know how to fix it.
Was wondering if there was a recall, would y 2006 be covered?...and in that it is still within the 15 year time window that was mentioned, would it be covered?

·
Registered
144 Posts
That is one thing that is kinda weird. I had a guy do a diagnostic on the car and he said he could access everything on the car except the airbag system. He disconnected from my 2004 525 and hook up to his 2005 M5 and showed me where it should be. We went back to my car and still couldn't get access with his system. Anyone experience that before?
That airbag is in one of two places. I had these codes on my 2005 545i which I just solved. I checked every option using INPA until I found exactly where the codes were. Now you can use the Functional Jobs option to see all codes using INPA. It will display the modules and the codes. You can then check each and every option to find where exactly they are.

I know the common thing is to think that the seat mat has failed as that was one of the options I was faced with. Also, I saw the mod for the BST cable using a 2 ohm resistor that many have done but I prefer to keep the safety system working as it was intended. There isn't anything wrong with my mats or the seatbelt sensor or BST cable. It was the system time that I had to reset. There is a process to do that and after resetting it and clearing the codes, they all went away.

Here is the thread I created about my issue : https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391119

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the same issue on mine (2006 525ix) which I think from researching is actually caused by a bad sensor mat in the seat itself.
Odd, because I don't think I have had anyone sit in that seat more than once or twice since getting the car around the beginning of the year.
I have seen a couple of items online to retrofit the system into "fooling" the car into not displaying the error.
I too, would like to know how to fix it.
Was wondering if there was a recall, would y 2006 be covered?...and in that it is still within the 15 year time window that was mentioned, would it be covered?
It may just be your system time that needs a reset.

See here: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391119

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks...I'm going to be needing one of those coding devices in that I also added the wiring for the AUX input that will need to be coded as well.

What is the best cable/software option?
and
are there tutorial videos posted?

Thanks for the help!
Roskinc has some videos on YouTube on how to add AUX. I bought a D-Kan cable off Ebay a while back. Go to the Coding Section or PM user: shawnsheridan. He helped me to get the software needed and I used YouTube to learn how to use INPA and NCSExpert. There was no video on how to reset system time but I attached a PDF to my thread which helped me to reset it for the safety modules.

This video was very helpful to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztclXMf2yPU&feature=emb_title

·
Registered
29 Posts
Roskinc has some videos on YouTube on how to add AUX. I bought a D-Kan cable off Ebay a while back. Go to the Coding Section or PM user: shawnsheridan. He helped me to get the software needed and I used YouTube to learn how to use INPA and NCSExpert. There was no video on how to reset system time but I attached a PDF to my thread which helped me to reset it for the safety modules.

This video was very helpful to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztclXMf2yPU&feature=emb_title
I did check out the link you posted and downloaded the pdf's (thanks for posting those)

I will check out the video later too!

Thanks for all of your help :thumbup:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd check the battery as well. If you have a failing battery it will begin generating all sorts of codes. My passenger airbag light came on recently and I discovered my battery was failing. Upon replacing the battery the air bag light went off.

Good luck,
Ralph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts