BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mackadocious Mack
42 Posts
Passenger door on my x5 2003 won't open from outside
Yes, this happened to mine for BOTH doors. It's the door handle actuator. Unless you're up for removing the interior door panel, cutting away the protective plastic and moving the window mechanism aside, brace yourself for a $300 hit. You may be able to come out cheaper if you order the door handle actuator yourself and just pay to have it installed.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Yes, this happened to mine for BOTH doors. It's the door handle actuator. Unless you're up for removing the interior door panel, cutting away the protective plastic and moving the window mechanism aside, brace yourself for a $300 hit. You may be able to come out cheaper if you order the door handle actuator yourself and just pay to have it installed.
It is not as hard job as it may sound..after you do it once :)

Don't need to move the window mechanism.

This is good video how to do it...

http://blog.bavauto.com/15369/bmw-d...-broken-x5-door-handle-replace-mechanism-e53/

Plastic pray tools are cheap @ local auto parts store and worth to spend money.
One area is not described in this and most other video's - it is the center/panel clip (behind the door handle - "spring clip" and "spring clip receiver" as guy describes it in video) , which needs to be disengaged. Sometimes it is easier by pulling the door handle reasonably hard as it can be pretty tight fit or by gently wiggling the panel (after releasing all other pins/clips) while pushing it upwards -this will slide out the clip holding plastic "receiver"along with the clip (later it it easier to remove the clip and reinstall the plastic holder)
And If plastic barrier is not badly damaged - I use piece of duck tape to reseal it after...
Also I do not disconnect battery but I make sure that my window is up (so it doesn't block access to the mechanism) and I remove the ignition key and never touch when Air bag is disconnected because this will trigger SRS signal which is not so easy to reset w/o special tooks

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
If you let mechanic do it - it will be close as part itself is $100 - 140 depending where you buy if from plus about 1.5 hours of labor...
If you doing it - you can buy aftermarket part for less than $50 ...

·
Mackadocious Mack
42 Posts
The way they make these cars and trucks today, unless you have the tools, it's increasingly difficult to GET to things. That's why mechanics charge what they charge. You would think something as simple as changing a door handle wouldn't be so involved but with these X5's it certainly is. As I said earlier, if you can absorb the $300 hit I would recommend letting the mechanic have at it. If he's cool like mine, he'll let you watch so that you can do it yourself when the other one goes.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you let mechanic do it - it will be close as part itself is $100 - 140 depending where you buy if from plus about 1.5 hours of labor...
If you doing it - you can buy aftermarket part for less than $50 ...
If you are doing it yourself, stay away from the cheap aftermarket parts. You'll spend more time trying to get everything align, and it'll just break in a couple of months.

Genuine BMW carrier will just go in without a lot of fuss and they have a 2 years unlimited warranty.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i'm a former mechanic so luckily this is a job i can do myself. i use to work at a vw dealer so i'm familiar with sometimes headache german engineering lol

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
If you are doing it yourself, stay away from the cheap aftermarket parts. You'll spend more time trying to get everything align, and it'll just break in a couple of months.

Genuine BMW carrier will just go in without a lot of fuss and they have a 2 years unlimited warranty.
I agree but some like cheap alternative....and like saving $50 and do job 2x :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Use BMW carrier

Both my driver and passenger handles have broke. Driver about 4 years ago and passenger 1 year ago. I used after market on drivers side and it was not has smoth as original. Went with BMW on passenger side and it operates much better. Drivers door is going again and I will use BMW replacement.

In 55 Years of driving have newer seen door handle carriers that break. This is what an expensive car does. Mine is 11 years old needs handle repairs about every 5 years!!! Even my 100.00 Junkers that went to the junk yard after driving them for a 2 years still had working doors

1 - 11 of 11 Posts