Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
2004 z4

hey nice people ,, new to the forum and hope everyone is having a great weekend !!
bobby
Mannyg569 ,, if you could send me the way in which you opened that locked door ,,the lock is actuating but its doing a thumping motion as its trying to open but never unlocks the door , I have a 2004 Z4 and it will not unlock so I can changed the actuator ,, changed the drivers side a month ago but I was able to get the door open on it !! thanks for your help ,, am about to cut the hook on the body if I can figure this dang thing out !!:mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
well kids with the advice of a shop manager here at a local BMW dealer ,,he said we see this all the time ,, heres what ya do ,, take a hammmer and a pry bar and put the end of the pry bar on the actuator lever down inside the door and hammer it to break the internal gears and the door will pop open ,, so i did and walla it opened after a few good whacks ,, was kinda scarey but it worked ,, if you're not comfortable doing this please take it to the dealer ,,they do it all the time he said !! got the actuator changed and the doors works fine !! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi people, Iv had a problem where my passenger door don't open from the inside or outside. The central locking was making a nose but wasn't unlocking! Tried everything!!! Then BMW said it would cost me £400 to get the door open and change the whole lock. They also said I will not be able to get the door open..... But I did! I come from a family of car mechanics, so I love nothing more then a big problem and being told only the main dealers can try and sort it. First of all the best way I found to get the door open is to use a hacksaw and cut off the catch bracket. It Can be replaced with a £25max new one.you can do this by opening the rear door and you will see the catch bracket hold the passenger door shut.it don't take long to hacksaw off. Then the door opens and you can then start to fix the problem! So already that's saved me £380! By openin it myself. I have pictures to show how I did it step by step feel free to ask for the pictures!. So once I got the locking unit out of the door I found the problem wasn't the central locking at al!! It was the rubber/plastic that's wrapped around the lock hock that had jammed the lock up. Once I removed that all it worked perfect!!!! So saved myself about £500 witch is what the main dealer wanted for labour and parts! Feel free to ask me anything or ask for pictures! Just want to help you lot save money and not be ripped off by dealers!
Asm262, hey budy and thx for all the information
I
m having the same issues with my e71 2012 driverside, luckily the door opened but i was at daycare picking up my kid, so I quickly took the door panel off to be able to get to the door once i close it, of course after i closed it it won't open again.....
I tried pulling on this cable that connect the outside handle cause I could feel it going up and down when opening the outside handle, so i started puling repeatedly and I think i pulled a bit too hard cause it doesn't feel the same anymore. is there a way to get the actuator off and open the door since i have the panel off??
if you could send me the pics, it would be much appreciated.
thx

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Door latches in E53 X5 go bad in time... I think the key problem is grease which dries after years of use making the metal parts rotation harder and electric motor can't operate or burns from overload..
Of course there might be other problems - like a broken part, but if you can still open door from inside I would say it is not the case.
After replacing 2 latches already , 3-rd started to "act" - I can still open it from inside but remote is not always able to do it... So, waiting is not going to make anything better- need to replace latch now or maybe try to lube it??

I decided to take a closer look at ale and did some "brutal surgery" on one of the old one's to see if and how they can be lubricated.
There are two places where lube dries - one being where the is small electric motor which is turning plastic wheel which opens the latch when you push the remote or electric button and this is pretty much sealed - the only way to spray grease there would to drill hole in housing but that would be quite difficult w/o risking to damage it.
But the main area where there is lots of grease and lots of moving parts can be greased quite easy. When you open the door - there are 3 bolts holding the latch - unscrew the one on the very top (closer to the car inside). Since the thread is all the way through the latch housing, you can stick a lubricant spray tube through it and blow some grease all around the inside (up/dn and to the sides).. You will likely see it dripping so have some rug handy to wipe it...
Should help. I would say if you notice one of the latches being "lazy" do it or if you have not replaced the locking mechanism for sever years, chances are that it may help also.. If grease dries too much motor may burn and there only way to fix it is to replace $200 part but lubrication bay extend its life.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts