BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After tolerating the constant warning fro several weeks, I took my 2009 335i convertible to the dealer (my local repair folks won't touch seat belt/air bag issues). Dealer charged $887 + tax to replace the sensor saying it is built-into the passenger seat and takes a lot of labor.

Is this accurate?

·
Found the Search Button
2014 i3 BEV
1,806 Posts
Yes, especially for a dealer... sensor is like $450 and it requires disassembling the seat bottom and coding the new pad to the car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
over the years many models have had this problem and some have had recalls to correct; keep an eye out for one and complain to the dealer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$400 more

The dealer called to report that the part needed was actually $400 more than quoted ($1200+) but that they would stick with the original estimate. I'm going ahead. But next time, I'll try to code this out. My inital attempt at clearing the codes was not successful (code came back). So I must not know how to 'code it out.'

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
dstrickland said:
Just code it out...
The dealer called to report that the part needed was actually $400 more than quoted ($1200+) but that they would stick with the original estimate. I'm going ahead. But next time, I'll try to code this out. My inital attempt at clearing the codes was not successful (code came back). So I must not know how to 'code it out.'
Defective sensor results in airbags NOT activating.
Why would you want to risk the life of any passenger in your car???

My passenger sensor went bad, but I was fortunate in getting work done under CPO. Job would have cost $500-600 per my SA, and it does entail coding the new part to the car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've got a totaled e90 that says otherwise....when coding OC3 out, the sensor no longer looks for a passenger in the seat, but the airbag still deploys....the only difference is, it deploys whether a passenger is in the seat or not. With OC3 active, if a passenger isnt in the seat it will not deploy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi, my 330i 2006 just started warning, passenger seat air bag sensor fault. I assume this means the air bag will not deploy in an accident, with this fault. My indie mechanic quoted $1200 cnd to replace which is in the range of costs noted above. I called BMW Canada, and they confirmed no recall on this part for my car. As its a safety situation I'll need to bite the bullet and do this (arrrrg).

@dstrickland, I've heard a change could take the sensor out of the system, override, and make the airbag always deploy regardless of passenger accupancy. Is this change regarding the wiring under the seat? Or, is this something that can be changed in the software settings or code? Any clarification or links to a "bypass" would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Defective sensor results in airbags NOT activating.
Why would you want to risk the life of any passenger in your car???

My passenger sensor went bad, but I was fortunate in getting work done under CPO. Job would have cost $500-600 per my SA, and it does entail coding the new part to the car.
I used to think the same but its not true. The airbags will still deploy.

Problem with not having a working passenger seat mat sensors arises when you have small children sit in the front seat. The airbag can severely injure them. When the seat mat is working, if they are under a certain weight, the airbag will not deploy.

With a non-working mat sensor, it will deploy regardless of passenger weight or occupancy.

·
458 Posts
Enclosed is a text file of the SIB related to the sensor:

SI B01 09 14
Warranties
September 2014
Warranties

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B01 09 14 dated August 2014.

Please read this Service Information bulletin in its entirety, the content has been completely updated.

NEW designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Front Passenger Air Bag Seat Occupancy Sensor (OC3) Mat: Limited Warranty Extension to 15 years Without Mileage Limitation
MODEL
E60 (5 Series Sedan - excluding M5)
E61 (5 Series Sports Wagon)
NEW Model Year 2006 and 2007
NEW With option 456 (Comfort seat)
NEW E85 (Z4 Roadster)
NEW E90 (3 Series Sedan)
NEW E91 (3 Series Sports Wagon)
NEW Model Year 2006 and 2007
NEW With the Standard (mechanical) seat or with option 459 (Electrically adjustable seat)

information
BMW of North America, LLC ("BMW NA") is extending the limited warranty for the Supplemental Restraint System's (SRS) front passenger air bag seat occupancy sensor (OC3) mat on certain model BMW vehicles to:

15 years without mileage limitation as determined by the vehicle's original in-service date.

This "component-specific" limited warranty extension applies to defects in materials and workmanship.

This bulletin is notice of a "limited warranty extension." This is NOT a notice of a Recall or Service Action.

No immediate repair is required unless the BMW vehicle is currently experiencing this problem.

This extended limited warranty coverage does not apply to vehicles affected by the following Recall Campaign:

SI B65 06 14 Recall 13V-564: E90, E91 Front Passenger Air Bag Seat Occupancy Sensor Mat
SI B65 07 14 Recall 13V-564: E60, E61,E65, E66 Front Passenger Air Bag Seat Occupancy Sensor Mat
SI B65 08 14 Recall Campaign 13V-564: Replace Front Passenger Air Bag Seat Occupancy Sensor (E60, E61, E65, E66)
SI B65 09 14 Recall 13V-564: E65,E66 Front Passenger Air Bag Seat Occupancy Sensor Mat (E65, E66)

The extended limited warranty coverage also does not apply to:
- Vehicles with other seat options, and
- E60 (M5) vehicles

Note: Please refer to SI B65 75 06 for the limited warranty extension information that applies to previous models.

Customer Notification Letter - VIN and Component-specific Warranty Extension

Even though this is NOT a Recall, BMW NA sent VIN-specific customer notification letters the week of August 11, 2014. A sample letter is attached.

Eligible BMW Vehicles

To assist you in identifying the eligible vehicles, the DCSnet Warranty Vehicle Inquiry has been updated with the "Vehicle Comment" shown below:

BMW NA has extended the limited warranty for the Supplemental Restraint System's (SRS) front passenger air bag seat occupancy sensor (OC3) mat on this vehicle to 15 years without mileage limitation as determined from the original in-service date. Please see SI B01 09 14.

Note: Always check the DCSnet Warranty Vehicle Inquiry "Vehicle Comments" and the "Repair History (Claims)" sections first, before performing any repairs.

parts information
Please refer to the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC/ETK), using the customer's VIN to locate the replacement part numbers.

Note: Only order the necessary parts, in the quantities needed, for customers' vehicles that have confirmed failures.

Also refer to EPC and the Repair Instructions for one-time use fasteners and/or component information.

warranty information
The Supplemental Restraint System's (SRS) front passenger air bag seat occupancy sensor (OC3) mat limited warranty extension to 15 years without mileage limitation applies to "eligible BMW vehicles" that are registered and operated in all 50 states (including Puerto Rico).

This component-specific extended limited warranty coverage is transferable.

The existing limited warranty coverage for all other parts has not changed.

NEW Should the front passenger air bag seat occupancy sensor (OC3) mat fail again, the seat occupancy sensor mat is covered by the remaining portion of the extended limited warranty coverage period.

Claim this work with the defect code and labor operations provided below.

(cutting the claim codes for length)

E60, E61, E90 and E91

If a vehicle control module or component was working properly and/or had no related faults stored prior to
vehicle programming and it fails to program correctly and/or requires initialization, this additional work must be
claimed with separate labor operations under the defect code listed above, refer to KSD2.

Repairs to address control modules and/or components with pre-existing conditions are not eligible to be
claimed under the defect code listed in this bulletin.

Previous Customer-pay Repair Reimbursement - Limited Warranty Extension

As provided and outlined in the "Customer Notification" letter, under this extended limited warranty, BMW of
North America, LLC will provide reimbursement for eligible customer-pay repairs that were performed prior to
the release of the customer notification.

For a customer to request reimbursement for an eligible previously paid repair performed by either an
authorized BMW center or independent repair shop, please have him/her submit his/her reimbursement request
online at www.BMW-RP.com

This website provides information regarding the required supporting documentation and alternative methods to
submit a reimbursement request.

Note: The above procedure only applies to the prior customer-pay reimbursement requests on vehicles that are
eligible for the extended limited warranty coverage.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I used to think the same but its not true. The airbags will still deploy.

Problem with not having a working passenger seat mat sensors arises when you have small children sit in the front seat. The airbag can severely injure them. When the seat mat is working, if they are under a certain weight, the airbag will not deploy.

With a non-working mat sensor, it will deploy regardless of passenger weight or occupancy.
I have to add a slightly different bent in response to both your reply, and to the earlier description (post 7) that the airbag deployed on the passenger side even with an empty seat...

About 2 years ago, I had a seat occupancy sensor which
a) saw the seat was occupied, but it thought that
b) it was apparently NOT occupied by an adult...​
IOW the airbag would FAIL TO DEPLOY even though an adult was sitting properly on the seat. The light on the display above the rear view mirror showed that status. As I previouosly noted, the dealer replaced it under warranty.

So NOT all occupancy sensor errors will deploy the bag 'no matter what'...when it is doing its job to protect children (or it thinks there is a bag of groceries for 'false positive occupancy')

·
Registered
408 Posts
bumping this so you know, since it's still within 15 years.

1. if you already fixed it, get reimbursed
2. if you have yet to fix it, GO BOTHER YOUR DEALER
3. DO NOT CODE IT OUT unless you hate the person in the passenger seat

·
Registered
90 Posts
Unfortunately this issue is also occurring in model 328i manufactured in 2009. BMW has extended recalls to 2008 model but not beyond that. It's prudent that all owners of BMW experiencing this issue to report to NHTSA so they can be included in the existing recall for mat failures. I just reported issue with my car, others are also encouraged to report https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Seatbelt Clips on eBay

Had the same problem with my car, it's not covered by the extended warranty, so the very helpful service advisor (?! Right?! Like how often does that happen??) told me they sell the fake clips on eBay.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Make some noise

From what I understand, 2008 models were not included in the extended warranty before because there weren't too many complaints according to NHTSA. Unless the owners like us not report the issue to NHTSA, models past 2008 will not be included in the extended warranty.

All owners are requested to report the issue to NHTSA so they can include them in the extended warranty, this is exactly what happened with 2008 models. Initial recall was limited to 2006 and 2007 models only.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have a non sport non heat mat and cushion from a 2011 (tan leather can be removed if that is not your color). If anyone needs it. PM me a fair offer.

·
Registered
2007 E93
37 Posts
Thanks Scorieo for the link. I filed a complaint. The sensor on my 2007 E93 failed this week and is not under the extended warranty even though the E90 and E91 are covered. All 3 models have the same passenger seat right?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
There are regular and sport seats. (So there are two types)
I think BMW has some kind of Bean Counter way of determining
if your Vin qualify s. (Statistics basically)
This is a common failure even in older models.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My E90 Seats Not Covered

I have the exact same issue, a 2010 E90 with "standard" seats. There is a limited recall, but the dealership said my vehicle wasn't covered. My service adviser suggested I check eBay for stamped metal clips to insert in the buckle. I found one that fit and for about $3.00 stopped the incessant dinging; no expensive repair, no disabling of the passenger seatbelt warning chime.

·
Registered
2007 E93
37 Posts
Idusseau39 I don't think we are talking about the same issue. Its not the seat belt warning chime thats going off. We are talking about an error message appearing on the main screen telling us there is a malfunction in the passenger airbag system. Basically its sensor that shuts off the passanger airbag when someone is not seating there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts