BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just got myself a graduation present in the form of a 2004 530i. I had a pre-purchase inspection done by a BMW dealer even though I bought the car through a broker.

We found out that the passenger seat sensor for the airbag had "faulted" and needed to be replaced. This car looks brand new and only has 27K miles on it. The broker had to install a new sensor for almost a grand.

My question is why such an important and itegral part of the car's supplemental restraint system breaks down after only 3 to 4 years. Have you heard of this before? Why is there no recall on this item? The dealer and another BMW mechanic said they have seen this before!

Thoughts?

Kal

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
It's not an uncommon issue, and was covered by BMW warranty--there was a SIB on it. I had an issue with mine, but a software update resolved the issue.

I seem to recall receiving a letter some time ago regarding a class action suit that BMW settled regarding this, and the settlement was to replace the part and/or update the software.

Do a search for more info.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Hi everyone. I just got myself a graduation present in the form of a 2004 530i. I had a pre-purchase inspection done by a BMW dealer even though I bought the car through a broker.

We found out that the passenger seat sensor for the airbag had "faulted" and needed to be replaced. This car looks brand new and only has 27K miles on it. The broker had to install a new sensor for almost a grand.

My question is why such an important and itegral part of the car's supplemental restraint system breaks down after only 3 to 4 years. Have you heard of this before? Why is there no recall on this item? The dealer and another BMW mechanic said they have seen this before!

Thoughts?

Kal
First, welcome to the 'fest'.
Second, nothing lasts forever. :rofl: Really, there are so many sensors in these cars and ultimately some of them quit working.
Third, Recalls only happen when enough of some things happen and is deemed to be inherent in a certain model/time frame, not because it has happened and the dealer "has seen this before". :)

dj

1 - 3 of 3 Posts