BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

Today I lifted the passenger seat in order to access fuse #107 and when I tried screwing the seat back in place I noticed the threads in which we screw the bolts into were damaged. More specifically, 2 out 4 are damaged.

The front/right one has even come loose. Which means that I try to screw the bolt into the floor, the female end actually turns with the bolt.

How can I access these "nuts" in order to replace them?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Maxime

·
Registered
811 Posts
Put a tap and die on the ones that are cross threaded. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a nutsert kit. It looks like a rivet gun, but it actually inserts the female end into sheetmetal. It will hold up very well. Otherwise, anything else will require drilling out the floor pan to access the nut.

·
resident, old fart
1,870 Posts
You will likely need to crawl underneath the car and see if you can access where the nut was welded in place. You have two issues; one being that the nuts have stripped threads and the second (if I understand you correctly) is that the nuts have broken their tack weld and are just spinning free. Hopefully you can see and have access to where the nuts are located and just get new hardware and then hold the nut with a wrench. Forget trying to clean up the threads as the tap will cost you more that new hardware. Worst case you have to drill an access hole to get to where the nut can be held. Replace the hardware. Any of the bigbox stores will wave. You need not stay metric so see what you have laying around in about a 5/16 or 3/8 (preferred) bolt and not. They don't have to be hex head caps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.