BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In November, I brought my 15***8217; X1 in for an oil change. Point being, they were the last ones, that opened my hood. A couple weeks ago, my coolant levels were low. So, I attempted to open the hood to top it off but the passenger side was stuck. Thinking the below 0 weather was the cause, I waited a couples days, but still won***8217;t release, so today, I return back to the mechanic and I explain the above mentioned. They take a look, tell me I ***8220;must have hit something***8221;, I tell them ***8220;absolutely NOT***8221; and they recommend I see an auto body shop. I walk out fuming because I know they can fix it and just don***8217;t want to take the time. Which I found hysterical, since they gave me a quote to fix my door handle and thought only auto body shops handle that. But, I***8217;m a woman and only expect, to either be overcharged or told something ridiculous. Anyways, I go home and read all these forums and watched some YouTube videos. I remove the grill, I apply pressure to the hood and then put a rag above the headlight close to latch and shimmy, I do everything but jump on the hood. Frustrated and determined to open it, I go to the front passage tire and see there is a small plastic square that is removable to access the headlight. It took a few tries but I put my hand up there and felt around and TaDa it opened. I didn***8217;t hit anything, it was not closed properly and therefore, looked a little crooked and didn***8217;t latch properly. If you see the 3rd picture where I have removed the plastic covering, I put my hand up there and followed the cable until I knew I was around the area of the latch. I lubed it up and it***8217;s now good to go. There is also another way you can access it, but you need a small tool or maybe a coat hanger. It***8217;s the last picture and can you see a very small opening above the light. If you can get it to lift slightly, you will be able to push the small pin that releases the latch even if the cable is broken. You***8217;re welcome!

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts