BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find some solutions for radar detectors in a '09 335xi coupe and '11 550xi. Was told by BMW that the 9500ci install in the 550xi would look "aftermarket" and spent some time with their installer who gave some options (mirror or by knee/console). I decided to wait to hear some of your thoughts.

In my 335xi coupe, I have a 9500ix that's direct-wired through the mirror (done by BMW) but it uses suction cups that don't work well in the winter (keeps falling). Also, where I park it now, there have been some thefts of GPS units in cars so I'm afraid to leave anything out so I just remove it. This presents a problem because the more difficult it is to take it down and store and hide everything, the less likely I am to use it.

Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated! If you have custom installs, etc. please post pics!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did a stealth install on my 550, search my posts for ideas.

Caveat, I have access to some metal working machines which I used to eliminate the suction cups

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
I like the ashtray for the controls and remote display.

Just close the lid and it all disappears!

I fabricated my own "stealth" mounting system for the main unit, and I don't use the suction cups.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts