BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems like the factory will still be closed the next few months. Sucks as it was closed when I did my last PCD. Anyway, how is the weather in January and do they change any of the driving activities? Also, would they mount snow/winter tires if you provide them? If not, is there a tire shop nearby? If all goes as planned, the new car will come with summer performance tires and I will be driving back up to the northeast.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am also facing the dilemma of a January PCD with summer only tires, but I'll be driving back to Florida! :D
So, as long as it's not snowing in SC and I take it easy for the first half of the drive I should be fine. :thumbup:
Maybe you should consider calling the PCD and asking them if it would be OK for you to order a set of winter tires and wheels from Tire Rack and have them delivered to the PCD. But, then you'll have to have the OE wheels/tires shipped home.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am also facing the dilemma of a January PCD with summer only tires, but I'll be driving back to Florida! :D
So, as long as it's not snowing in SC and I take it easy for the first half of the drive I should be fine. :thumbup:
Maybe you should consider calling the PCD and asking them if it would be OK for you to order a set of winter tires and wheels from Tire Rack and have them delivered to the PCD. But, then you'll have to have the OE wheels/tires shipped home.
So wish I was driving back to somewhere warm. Just about finalized my order yesterday, not getting excited until I have a production # and VIN. I have a set of Blizzaks w/ only 2 seasons on them that I used on my 320 for only 2 seasons. I would ship them down, and then ship the summer tires back up.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Weather in January is a "roll of the dice": you could have snow and temps in the teens or you could have a great day with 50 degree temps or it could be rainy and 40 degrees. Most likely it will be a high in the low to mid 40's and sunny.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So wish I was driving back to somewhere warm. Just about finalized my order yesterday, not getting excited until I have a production # and VIN. I have a set of Blizzaks w/ only 2 seasons on them that I used on my 320 for only 2 seasons. I would ship them down, and then ship the summer tires back up.
Call the PC and ask; worst they could say is no.
Weather in January is a "roll of the dice": you could have snow and temps in the teens or you could have a great day with 50 degree temps or it could be rainy and 40 degrees. Most likely it will be a high in the low to mid 40's and sunny.
40's and sunny would be just fine. :D

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
A little pessimistic. We have 1 or 2 (in really bad year 3) winter events during a winter season. Your odds of it being the one day that matters to you are pretty good, roughly 1 in 30 in your favor. Our average afternoon high at our coldest is 50 degrees. You are much more likely to hit it the other way and have 65 degrees and sunny, we get 2 or 3 of those a month in winter. If you are the lucky "winner" it is best to hunker down and wait a day. We are not good at driving in snow and not great at cleaning it off the roads. Normally we just wait a day or so and it all melts. Going South toward Florida you are extremely unlikely to have an issue. Heading North however is a different issue. Once you get into North Carolina (only an hour away) your odds of winter weather increase dramatically. If the PC can't help you with the winter tires, give the Tire Exchange in Mauldin a call. They are great to work with, if anyone is willing to help you with this, it is likely them. Good luck. N4S

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,697 Posts
I was there a few weeks ago and they said the factory was going to be closed for about a year and a half!! Crazy! :(:(:bawling:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was there a few weeks ago and they said the factory was going to be closed for about a year and a half!! Crazy! :(:(:bawling:
Yeah, but at least the museum will be open when I go. :)

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,697 Posts
Yeah, but at least the museum will be open when I go. :)
Yea, they were closed for us, but I happened back there after my PCD and it looked open so I went in. Turned out it was employee day before the big reopening the following week. I told them I was there picking up a car and they told me to just go ahead and walk around like normal which I thought was nice of them.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little pessimistic. We have 1 or 2 (in really bad year 3) winter events during a winter season. Your odds of it being the one day that matters to you are pretty good, roughly 1 in 30 in your favor. Our average afternoon high at our coldest is 50 degrees. You are much more likely to hit it the other way and have 65 degrees and sunny, we get 2 or 3 of those a month in winter. If you are the lucky "winner" it is best to hunker down and wait a day. We are not good at driving in snow and not great at cleaning it off the roads. Normally we just wait a day or so and it all melts. Going South toward Florida you are extremely unlikely to have an issue. Heading North however is a different issue. Once you get into North Carolina (only an hour away) your odds of winter weather increase dramatically. If the PC can't help you with the winter tires, give the Tire Exchange in Mauldin a call. They are great to work with, if anyone is willing to help you with this, it is likely them. Good luck. N4S
How is it down there? Did you guys get hit with the same snow storm we just had? Yesterday was bittersweet. My car came off the boat in Jersey and I was told it was waiting to get onto a truck to go to the Performance Center. But then we also got about 8" of snow and I was hearing the southern states had snow as well. Not looking good to be driving back on summer tires. Hopefully tomorrow I'll find out how far out they're scheduling deliveries.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
We did get a lot (for us) of snow. Anywhere from a dusting to 4 inches. What is really strange and a real pita is the temperatures have stayed very cold for 2 or 3 days, so it didn't all melt yet. To put that in perspective, the last time it happened was 2011. However, we are supposed to be 70 degrees by Friday. After that, the 15 day forecast is for highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s everyday. I doubt that will come into play for you, hopefully the weather in late January and early February will be better. Good luck. N4S

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had PCD on 1/6 and got out of there at about 3pm, just as it started to sleet! :yikes:
Headed east towards I95 and then south. Got home safe on 1/7. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Like I said, it's a roll of the dice: first of the week temps in the teens and snow, yesterday temps in the mid 70's and clear.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like I said, it's a roll of the dice: first of the week temps in the teens and snow, yesterday temps in the mid 70's and clear.
That's what I like to hear! Car is at the VPC now. Hopefully on Monday can schedule delivery.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm scheduled for Thurs 2/9 if you happen to go at the same time.
I'm still trying to get in touch with my CA to schedule a date, keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like I'm going to miss you. Confirmed for Mon 2/13.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just took delivery earlier this week. Gotta get there when the plant is open one of these days. Weather the whole ride up was decent for tires, got back home just after the last snow storm so the main roads were already plowed and I had the Blizzaks put on the next morning. Seems like the Bimmerfest book is dead. Was told that it may have gotten full and was filed away. It was nice to see some familiar faces. I think next time, we may stay another night in Greenville and then start the drive home. The museum was done nicely but no CCA discount in that gift shop. Although they did have more infant/toddler gear than the gift shop at the Performance Center. Remember to show your CCA card over there. We had the same instructor again (Paul M.) who is excellent on the track. Everyone on the staff there makes for a warm and exciting experience

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just took delivery earlier this week. Gotta get there when the plant is open one of these days. Weather the whole ride up was decent for tires, got back home just after the last snow storm so the main roads were already plowed and I had the Blizzaks put on the next morning. Seems like the Bimmerfest book is dead. Was told that it may have gotten full and was filed away. It was nice to see some familiar faces. I think next time, we may stay another night in Greenville and then start the drive home. The museum was done nicely but no CCA discount in that gift shop. Although they did have more infant/toddler gear than the gift shop at the Performance Center. Remember to show your CCA card over there. We had the same instructor again (Paul M.) who is excellent on the track. Everyone on the staff there makes for a warm and exciting experience
Glad to hear things went well for you and you had a good trip back.

How many did PCD with you?

I didn't have a CCA membership, but the guy in the shop (at the PC) gave me the discount if I promised to join. I did join, and put his member number down as a referral.

For me, I thought the drive to Atlanta was a good distance to go the first day. It got me somewhat used to the vehicle, and it was daylight much of the time.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to hear things went well for you and you had a good trip back.

How many did PCD with you?

I didn't have a CCA membership, but the guy in the shop (at the PC) gave me the discount if I promised to join. I did join, and put his member number down as a referral.

For me, I thought the drive to Atlanta was a good distance to go the first day. It got me somewhat used to the vehicle, and it was daylight much of the time.
It was just my wife and I that went down. Glad to hear you joined! Don't forget that you get a rebate on your next car after being a member for a year. That alone makes up for the membership fee for a few years.

I forgot to mention that after we left, we went next door to the BMW CCA Foundation museum. The Performace Center people thought it was closed for the day but I had previously talked to them and they were indeed there. Small staff and still a work in progress but there's some good stuff to see there as well. So while the Bimmerfest book may no longer be at the Performance Center, at the Foundation's museum, they have a white board that you can sign.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts