BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I fly to Spartanburg for a Performance Center Delivery is there any reason my dealer should expect to be paid $300 for "Final Get Ready"? I was already told that the destination charges remain...I guess that covers the hotel room, food, etc. But this is to get my car ready, which they won't do...unless I bring it to them covered with mud and bugs after my drive home to St. Louis.

Basically the question is for those who went with PCD: did you still have to pay some sort of additional dealer prep fee?

And don't even bring up the "gas guzzler" charge. They wouldn't let me pass on that option either.

Matt

·
Too Beaucoup
335 Posts
I did the PCD, and did not pay any additional "dealer prep" fees.

I was told, that when I got back, to bring the car to the dealership for a complimentary wash and fill-up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
street carp said:
And don't even bring up the "gas guzzler" charge. They wouldn't let me pass on that option either.
you got a gas guzzler charge? that's odd, I didn't -- and even on the window sticker it said "Gas Guzzler Tax - $0" or something like that...

·
Go Gators
10,339 Posts
michael chase said:
you got a gas guzzler charge? that's odd, I didn't -- and even on the window sticker it said "Gas Guzzler Tax - $0" or something like that...
Thats because your engine doesn't suck up gas like the bigger ones.

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
BmW745On19's said:
Or that the EPA people can't drive a stick for beans, and so they get higher mileage on a Steptronic 650i than they do on a manual 650i. 650i MT = GGTax. 650i Step = NO GGTax.

·
Registered
51 Posts
BmW745On19's said:
haha I thought I was in the E90 forum, my bad :thumbup:

but hey, now I know why my dad didn't get a gas guzzler on his 650

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts
street carp said:
If I fly to Spartanburg for a Performance Center Delivery is there any reason my dealer should expect to be paid $300 for "Final Get Ready"? I was already told that the destination charges remain...I guess that covers the hotel room, food, etc. But this is to get my car ready, which they won't do...unless I bring it to them covered with mud and bugs after my drive home to St. Louis.

Basically the question is for those who went with PCD: did you still have to pay some sort of additional dealer prep fee?

Matt
$300 "Final Get Ready"? The PC didn't charge our dealership for gas or detail for my car or any of my clients cars. We include mats and order them from the PC for all of our clients, but there's no reason to get bumped for $300 for getting the car ready.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
michael chase said:
haha I thought I was in the E90 forum, my bad :thumbup:

but hey, now I know why my dad didn't get a gas guzzler on his 650
It has to due with the "CAFE" standards. Corporate Average Fuel Economy. Google "Gas guzzler tax". There is a calcualtion on how it works.

I believe the average needs to be 22MPG. A 6 series with a step tranny averages 22. The manual does not so there is a something like a $1500 charge. The SMG option is worse and I think it is about $2500. It is a sliding scale. The farther your average fuel consumption is off from 22MPG the more you pay. Even an M3 with SMG pays a hefty fee. SMG's are very inefficient fuel wise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From my experience the "Big Three" get away with murder when it comes to their EPA estimated fuel economy vs. reality. However, I used to own a Toyota that got near the advertised highway mileage in mixed driving. I'm sure a new Mustang GT will get worse mileage in reality than our M Coupe/Roadsters, but there is no gas guzzler charge on these. Paying $1000 for no reason doesn't sit well with me.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
chuck92103 said:
SMG's are very inefficient fuel wise.
Excuse me? SMG in teh M3 uses exactly the same transmission as the manual.

And in general manauls get better gas mileage that true autos because of less slip in the power hookup between the eninge nad tranny, but they can be driven ineffciently if you are not careful.

And the whole thig is arcane, in that the E46 M3 Cuope had a higher GGT than the Cabriolet did, even though the cab weighs more.

EPA and logic and science do NOT go together.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Pinecone said:
And in general manauls get better gas mileage that true autos because of less slip in the power hookup between the eninge nad tranny
That's becoming less true as Auto Tranmissions get smarter.

And the whole thig is arcane, in that the E46 M3 Cuope had a higher GGT than the Cabriolet did, even though the cab weighs more.
What year?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

2005 BMW M3 16/24 (manual) 16/23 (auto)

2005 BMW M3 Convertible 16/23 (manual) 16/22 (auto)

2006 is the same

EPA and logic and science do NOT go together.
The standards are set by law, so politics do get into it. Even worse is the SUV GGT exemption.

The test is standarized and accounts for weight and cd. The manufacturer conducts the tests and submits the results to EPA. You'd think that if a car is 1MPG away from the gas guzzler tax, the manufacturer will do their best to drive the car so it doesn't fall into the tax band. EPA spot checks about 15% of the cars.

The published EPA numbers are 10% less than the test results.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Yes, they are getting beter, but there is still slippage at times.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
With lock-up torque converters, the mileage for the automatic has gotten a lot better.

There is no truth to the comment that SMG is less efficient than the manual. As Pinecone has said, it's the same transmission in both cases. I wonder if the EPA mileage test of SMG is done as a manual or in auto mode?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts