BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a tune-up of changing plugs/coils, decided to switch these out as preventative maintenance. Turns out this kit is more of a repair kit, than a full replacement. The cap doesn't have the necessary vacuum hose nipple, had to reuse factory caps. No big deal if your careful when removing the factory caps.

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
The CCV valves did away with the nipples on the caps, as it made little difference. Also cap the nipple on the air intake pipe when the CCV valve caps are updated. The valves come with new caps, so don't worry about the old ones. The 2004 & 2005 4.4 L engines had several problems with the SA system, & this was done away with when BMW learned how to pass the emission test, that the SA system tried to do. The SA system usually only runs on a cold startup for around 40 seconds. After that is does nothing. This is also around the time that the engine goes into closed loop, to read & control all of the sensors to make the motor run properly. If you have a 2004 or 2005 4.4 L engine, the SA ports will eventually clogged up. Removing the heads to do a valve job will clear the ports, & the valve seals at the same time. It takes no longer to remove the heads, than trying to replace the valve seals on the engine, one by one. This is around a 40 hour job. In the long run, a valve job will be much cheaper, than buying or renting the AGA tool.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The CCV valves did away with the nipples on the caps, as it made little difference. Also cap the nipple on the air intake pipe when the CCV valve caps are updated. The valves come with new caps, so don't worry about the old ones. The 2004 & 2005 4.4 L engines had several problems with the SA system, & this was done away with when BMW learned how to pass the emission test, that the SA system tried to do. The SA system usually only runs on a cold startup for around 40 seconds. After that is does nothing. This is also around the time that the engine goes into closed loop, to read & control all of the sensors to make the motor run properly. If you have a 2004 or 2005 4.4 L engine, the SA ports will eventually clogged up. Removing the heads to do a valve job will clear the ports, & the valve seals at the same time. It takes no longer to remove the heads, than trying to replace the valve seals on the engine, one by one. This is around a 40 hour job. In the long run, a valve job will be much cheaper, than buying or renting the AGA tool.
Thanks for the explanation Herb. What is SA? Are you saying if the nipples are capped, that will prevent the SA ports from being clogged?

(Thanks for the tip on removing the heads, will definitely look into that when the time comes, would much prefer to work on heads on the bench if all things are equal. I recently replaced valve seals on my Pontiac, that was easier to do with heads on, than get heads out because some head bolts would be very difficult to access)

·
Premium Member
Current: 2009 E63 650i Coupe, 2009 E92 M3 Past: 2012 F10 535i, 2009 E93 335i vert, 2007 Roush 427r
125 Posts
HerbP, how much does a typical valve job run on these heads? I'm at 90k now so I'm sure this is in my not so distant future.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HerbP, how much does a typical valve job run on these heads? I'm at 90k now so I'm sure this is in my not so distant future.
don't "quote" me, but it seems like I've seen prices from 3-5K around the boards here. these engines are known to go pretty far before valve seals go out, may be dependent on how they are cared for and how warm up occurs. I let oil circulate for a few minutes at cold start, before engaging the transmission, then put it in drive and let it sit another bit, to let the tranny juices flow, then keep RPM's low until it reaches operating temp. that means driving like granny for about 5 or 7 minutes.

·
Premium Member
Current: 2009 E63 650i Coupe, 2009 E92 M3 Past: 2012 F10 535i, 2009 E93 335i vert, 2007 Roush 427r
125 Posts
Actually, I was looking for an estimate with the heads already removed. Just looking for a ballpark number.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts