BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
No image handy but it shows an outline of the rear of the car and uses yellow and red to indicate how close you are.

It is in my opinion much better than a camera since it gives u through the UI a constant guide as to whether you are near something.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, it's a 2D image of the car facing to the left. As you approach somthing, you'll hear a beep and see green/yellow/red approaching the area of your bumper.. There is a slight dealy (which is to be expected) so just don't be backing up blindly (i.e. fast without looking)

It is very nice to have though.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Jspira said:
No image handy but it shows an outline of the rear of the car and uses yellow and red to indicate how close you are.

It is in my opinion much better than a camera since it gives u through the UI a constant guide as to whether you are near something.
:stupid: Backup cameras are good at providing an image but they are not good for telling distance.

Backup cameras are good for making sure you are not backing into an object.

PDC with the iDrive is good if you are trying to park and avoid an object.

That is why backup cameras are not called "Park Distance Control".

·
Registered
15 Posts
my experience with Honda

My wife drives a Honda Odyssey. It has a warning system, in addition to a camera display (on the NAV screen) when in reverse.

I second the opinions that the camera view is NOT good for judging distance. It would be great to notice an object or person directly behind you, and below the rear window view. But I find I depend on the beep warnings of the parking control much more, when in tight situations.

For that reason I want PDC on the 325i I hope to order soon. I do not plan to get NAV with this BMW however. You don't HAVE to get NAV, do you? Is there still simply an audible warning with the PDC for those vehicles without NAV? On such a vehicle is there any indication as to where the object is?

I'd guess not. If you're backing up, the object is behind you. :)

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Snare said:
My wife drives a Honda Odyssey. It has a warning system, in addition to a camera display (on the NAV screen) when in reverse.

I second the opinions that the camera view is NOT good for judging distance. It would be great to notice an object or person directly behind you, and below the rear window view. But I find I depend on the beep warnings of the parking control much more, when in tight situations.

For that reason I want PDC on the 325i I hope to order soon. I do not plan to get NAV with this BMW however. You don't HAVE to get NAV, do you? Is there still simply an audible warning with the PDC for those vehicles without NAV? On such a vehicle is there any indication as to where the object is?

I'd guess not. If you're backing up, the object is behind you. :)
Correct, you still get an audible sound if you do not have iDrive.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Backup cameras are overrated. You can see stuff but can't tell distance; this was the case on the Prius. If you can't tell distance from that car behind you, that defeats half the purpose.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I dont know about the BMW, but on my wifes RX330 with Nav and backup camera, I can come withen inches of the car behind me--Distance from looking at the nav display to the car behind me is Spot on, I use it all the time in tight situations to get right up to the front bumper of a car if need be without the wife having to get out and telling me my distance.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Here you go. I just went in the garage and took this. You can see by the yellow area that the PDC sensor is picking up the corner of my garage at the left rear of the car. As you get closer to an object the colored area comes in closer to the bumper on the screen and eventually turns red.

Attachments

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Here's one from the 530i R/T tested a few years ago. Unfortunately for unknown reasons, the 3 doesnt get front sensors. (If BMW doesnt put them on a 328i, I'm not going to vouch for it when my parents buy.)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but is there a way to rotate the orientation of the car with PDC? I think it would be much easier if the car was rotated 90*, correct?

-Brett

·
Registered
37 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but is there a way to rotate the orientation of the car with PDC? I think it would be much easier if the car was rotated 90*, correct?

-Brett
Then the picture would be extremely small. Turn your head to the left 90 degrees.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Then the picture would be extremely small. Turn your head to the left 90 degrees.
True, I guess if I were designing I would include both angles. Maybe using the smaller "assist" window for the car pointing forward.

So I am gathering you can not change the angle?

-Brett

1 - 13 of 13 Posts