BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learn something new about this 2008 X3 (Sport) every week, if not more often!

I noticed the little round thingies in the front and rear bumper covers, and from reading here figured out that they are for the Parking Distance Control (PDC) sensors. So I wondered if this X3 had PDC. Read about it in the OM and found the switch on the lower center dash -- no response at all from it, with or without the X3 running or in reverse.

So more reading here showed that people were annoyed by the sounds the PDC produces, and someone suggested removing the fuse. Went and figured out that its fuse is #24 (top row, toward the right, in about 10 slots) and should be 5 amp. No fuse there, and the brass contacts were evident.

So someone pulled the fuse? I put one in, and it works! Loud soundings from both the front and rear sensors when close to objects -- one sound from the front, under the center, for front objects, and one different-pitched sound from the right-rear for objects to the rear.

Question: Other than the annoyance of the PDC sounds, why would someone remove the fuse? The system seems to work.

I found, similarly, that fuse #25 (5 amp) is out too. I read that it is for the passenger's side mirror's heater. Any reason for it to be out?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
My guess would be that a previous owner pulled them to replace blown ones elsewhere instead of doing the right thing and buying new ones.

Are all the spare fuse locations empty for 5, 10, 15 and 20A?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 5 is now -- that's what I put in #24. I think the other spares are there.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Maybe some owners don't clue in that there are spare fuses and just 'borrow' functioning ones?

Can't see any reason at all to disable the side mirror heater. The PDC maybe, but still not a rational move.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reading about the heated mirros says they activate automatically with low outside air temperature. I'll try installing that #25 fuse in the future to see if anything bad happens (e.g., excessive battery drain -- the other reason I could see for someone pulling and leaving out one or both of these fuses). No problem yet with #24 reinstalled. But ...

In addition to the PDC, the rear view mirror's compass has come alive with installation of fuse #24. I had to reprogram the compass for this location, but it seems to work well.

The mirror has the "clown nose", and the security system was already operating without fuse #24. I previously had cleared the garage door remote codes (LED worked correctly after pressing/holding buttons 1 and 3). Besides the compass, anything else now likely to function on that mirror that wasn't (part of a "premium" package?)? It has the front/rear dimming sensors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Will be removing that fuse!!! my wife is taking her driving test and the first thing they had her do was parallel park and park in reverse. she failed instantly.Reason why she failed # 1 the noise scared her and caused her to panic . #2 she sucks at driving. Personally I hate that noise , plus the sensor is way to sensitive. It even beeps when you go over a Little tall blade Of grass. It’s a 2008 it’s our winter beater ... ohh and last.... if it gets snow on it , we are beeping the whole trip, until we get the snow off. No thank you 👎

·
Registered
3 Posts
Will be removing that fuse!!! my wife is taking her driving test and the first thing they had her do was parallel park and park in reverse. she failed instantly.Reason why she failed # 1 the noise scared her and caused her to panic . #2 she sucks at driving. Personally I hate that noise , plus the sensor is way to sensitive. It even beeps when you go over a Little tall blade Of grass. It's a 2008 it's our winter beater ... ohh and last.... if it gets snow on it , we are beeping the whole trip, until we get the snow off. No thank you ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Back up sensor is simply put annoying!
It goes off long before your near anything and sometimes for no reason at all.
My parking area is completely clear of anything behind it and everyday it still goes off as I back out. I can understand why someone would disable it. Think I will do the same!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Back up sensor is simply put annoying!
It goes off long before your near anything and sometimes for no reason at all.
My parking area is completely clear of anything behind it and everyday it still goes off as I back out. I can understand why someone would disable it. Think I will do the same!
Faulty sensors you got. Nothing wrong with the system itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
So your saying I have 3 x,3’s with faulty sensors?

I would believe that if two of them acted poorly but when 3 cars do the same thing, I have to think they have them set incorrectly from the factory. Unless maybe they are supposed to go off sooner than I assume they should. Honestly I never read anything explaining how often or when they should start going off. I do however think they are annoying and providing pulling the fuse doesn’t affect anything else mine will be pulled and not replaced unless I sell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts