BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was wondering if the 2nd generaton peake tool is gonna be fully compatible with my 1997 540i. I know it shouldbe but im not sure because there is the current FCX-3 available. From what i know version II came out around 2004 long after my car. Any advice/insight/bashing welcome. TIA:D

·
Registered
552 Posts
I had it for my 1997 528i and it did what it suppose to do - read/reset codes. I didn't try service interval or oil change interval though...

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
I'm not so sure it is. The problem is the connector, I think. The newer one connects to the under-dash socket, but the 1997 BMW has an engine-compartment connector. See below:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just got one...

Those things are DA BOMB :supdude:

Here's the deal, if you're pre 09/2000 build date, you need the R5 FCX-3, because it will plug into the 20 pin connector under the hood. If you're 9/2000 or beyond, it's OBD-2, and it hooks up under the dash (I think, mine is the older one).

It is the connector which makes the difference, you can even get a mechanic's version which has the connections to do both.

GET ONE!!!

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Those things are DA BOMB :supdude:

Here's the deal, if you're pre 09/2000 build date, you need the R5 FCX-3, because it will plug into the 20 pin connector under the hood. If you're 9/2000 or beyond, it's OBD-2, and it hooks up under the dash (I think, mine is the older one).

It is the connector which makes the difference, you can even get a mechanic's version which has the connections to do both.

GET ONE!!!
Right. As I you can see in the image I posted above, the "-16" suffix means that it fits the 16-pin under-dash connector. The regular R5FCX-3 has the 20-pin connector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1997 528i e39

so peake will work for cars sold in aust and nz? i have read nearly everywhere peake will only work for usa and uk sold bmw's i sent them an email and still havent heard back. as im in aust can someone help me with the best product to read/remove codes

thanks

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
so peake will work for cars sold in aust and nz? i have read nearly everywhere peake will only work for usa and uk sold bmw's i sent them an email and still havent heard back. as im in aust can someone help me with the best product to read/remove code.
Do you have a round, 20-pin diagnostic connector under the hood?

Edit: corrected number of pins

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.