BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Couldn't stand the fact that the Pedalbox install basically leaves it (and wires) dangling out in the open. Looking at my car, I realized I could run the wiring under the carpet, behind the side console trim and mount the remote in the ashtray holder. This allows me to close the ashtray cover and completely leaves the install unnoticed. Also I don't use my ashtray, so it was nice to get some use from that space.

Basic install was to:

1) Remove center wood console. Remove panel under driver's side dash (which includes the knee airbag.) Remove driver side trims from center console (carpet and leather trim). Remove Accelerator

2) Fish BMW throttle wire behind carpet. Fish PB cables behind carpet and connect, then pull the PD throttle cable through the carpet to connect it to the throttle. Connect.

3) Run the PD cable along the edge of the center console and down into the center console. Lay the remote control in the ashtray. Notice the little cutout in front of the ashtray where I ran the cable through, it was already there from BMW (maybe they knew this was going to happen)!

4) Screw everything back, pop the center console back in place, slide all the trim back on and use some doubled over double sided 3M foam tape to get the remote to the correct height and tape it.

Observations:
The Ashtray light nicely lights up the remote (plus with the built in light on the remote and the slow opening ashtray, it's inspiring!).

I could now do it in about 15-20 minutes. Took me originally about 30min since I didn't know how things were mounted.

The install is very flush, there is no interference with panels or trim pieces (so nothing juts out or buldges out).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
This is the way to go! Gonna be doing this very soon, thanks for the great idea. :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anytime!

·
Super Moderator
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Raj!

I actually cropped out a shot of my foot on the throttle, didn't want to take the focus away from you and Mr. Karim! HAHA.

·
Super Moderator
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
CABimmerNation
1,792 Posts
Now that's worth $80.00 You figure the dealer would have shown us this, lame asses. Nice work Alex. Good work also on removing any skin from your pics. Creeper alert.

·
bimmerfest coolest Member
1,866 Posts
Nice job! That beats all of us :thumbup:

·
CABimmerNation
1,792 Posts
LOL. Can I buy some more of your magazines. Just for personal use of course.:rofl:
It's officially out of circulation as of now. Is anyone watching this guy? :eek:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sorry for sounding like a total doosh, but wtf is the pedal box for? I'm lazy and don't feel like googling it.

·
1,866 Posts
ndavani
It improves the throttle response, makes the pedal more sensitive, eliminates the turbo lag. Highly recommend it. Now, it's much more fun to drive!

·
Registered
714 Posts
ndavani
It improves the throttle response, makes the pedal more sensitive, eliminates the turbo lag. Highly recommend it. Now, it's much more fun to drive!
What's it do to the gas mileage?

·
1,866 Posts
M4XBMW7
Most likely, I'll do some 0-100 tests soon (with and without the pedal box).

ndavani
Depends how you drive it, mine is about the same in Sport+. There is also an eco mode; the pedal is still sensitive but the mileage is better

·
Slower Traffic Move Right
436 Posts
Nice install! Thanks!

·
Registered
743 Posts
It adds no power, so not sure it can ultimately improve acceleration times.

It does get you under boost quicker, so that may improve times?

My mileage has actually been the same or slightly better, but I have used mainly Eco mode and stayed away from Sport plus which lets the engine rev insanely.

Amazing the difference in feel of your car with a shorter feeling pedal.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 20 of 108 Posts