BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In a ton of debt...
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am really interested in attending the BMW driving schools, but I want to make sure my insurance carrier cover the event. I already called my agent and have him check into this. However, in the case that my insurance carrier deny to cover the BMW driving shcools, I want to give him a few insurance companies to check for a new quote. For people who goes to track events, which insurance company do you use? I am in Bay Area, CA.

Thanks!

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
All insurance companies cover driving schools. It's not a timed event and any incident during a driving school will be treated like any other road incident. Of course your coverage will get more expensive if you file a claim.

Autocross, on the other hand...

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
While HACKs advice holds in 99% of cases we have had people not get covered at our schools. You need to ask your individual carrier. Some even give a discount for a driving school, that's why we give certificates at ours.

·
In a ton of debt...
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in_d_haus said:
While HACKs advice holds in 99% of cases we have had people not get covered at our schools. You need to ask your individual carrier. Some even give a discount for a driving school, that's why we give certificates at ours.
Yeah the agent is asking my insurance carrier for me. However, just in case that my existing carrier is not willing to cover driving school, I want to be able to give my agent a list of carriers that is willing to cover driving schools. Policy is up for renewal at the end of September, so worst case scenario is that I will have to miss out on Buttonwillow in September and wait till Sears Point in November.

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
Galun said:

Yeah the agent is asking my insurance carrier for me. However, just in case that my existing carrier is not willing to cover driving school, I want to be able to give my agent a list of carriers that is willing to cover driving schools. Policy is up for renewal at the end of September, so worst case scenario is that I will have to miss out on Buttonwillow in September and wait till Sears Point in November.
If your agent says you will get coverage, make sure to get that in writing.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
I have heard tell that some insurance companies will not cover accidents if they occur on a track, even for driving schools with non-timed runs.

I've been told by others with the same company that State Farm is ok with schools held on a track so long as it is not a timed event. I haven't yet confirmed any of this, which is why I've not yet signed up for any schools. I have not yet found out if taking a class would get me any additional discounts. Nor have I found out about coverage for autocross.

It would be nice to have a compiled list of carriers which shows which do and do not cover schools (of any kind), track vs. non-track, timed vs. non-timed, and autocross, and if it varies by state or county.

- howard

·
In a ton of debt...
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
in_d_haus said:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts