BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

People that have done ED in California

852 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  JAWJr
I'm posting this here because I'm not getting any response on the ED board...I think most of the people there are waiting for their ED cars or thinking about it. Can any of you answer my question that I posed on the ED board about smog check required for ED?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97409

Thanks much!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Hi TGray.

I've been wondering the same thing. I am picking up my ED for redelivery tomorrow and will let you know what my dealer says.

TVN
I did ED in 2003 and did not pay for smog check. And neither should you; however, an unscrupulous dealer may try to pull a fast one on you.
I did ED last year and was not charged for a smog check.
I did ED in April 2004 and my dealer presented me with a bill for the smog check which I politely declined to pay. They waived the charge.
I took redelivery this week. No smog. Either your dealer is misinformed or is trying to pull a fast one.

TVN
This is OT: I read this thread's title and briefly wondered if California had suceded from the U.S.
California has stricter emission standards than the rest of the US due to large population and the terrain that can trap smog. The law here also states that the seller of any vehicle must smog-test that vehicle. The cost may or may not be passed on to the buyer. Hope that helps, John!
:dunno:
johnf said:
This is OT: I read this thread's title and briefly wondered if California had suceded from the U.S.
Umm, so you are saying all new cars are smog tested in California? I don't think so.

Your information is outdated on used car sales as well..smog check not required on used cars until the car is more than 4 years old or maybe its 5..not sure. Also, the law states that the cost is the responsibility of the seller.
Bmwcat said:
California has stricter emission standards than the rest of the US due to large population and the terrain that can trap smog. The law here also states that the seller of any vehicle must smog-test that vehicle. The cost may or may not be passed on to the buyer. Hope that helps, John!
:dunno:
Just to add another person- I, too, did not pay any such fee upon re-delivery. Just tell them no when you pick yours up, I'm sure they won't contest.

~Jon
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.