BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone says it - I know that this is a decision I can only make for myself.

Basically, I am leasing this time around. I've set a limit on how much I am willing to spend on my next car. The lease rates are much more favorable in the sedan and it seems that you could get more money off MSRP. So, with that, a nicely loaded sedan (NAV, Premium, Sport, heated seats, CA) is running almost the same as a bare-bones coupe (sport, heated seats). I am leaning toward the coupe in the looks department (although the sedan is nice as well), but am concerned that I'll regret buying a BMW and not having any luxury type options. Space is not an issue as my wife has the kid-mobile.

I'm interested in existing owner's opinions on why I should select one over the other. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
BMW Addict
486 Posts
I went with the coupe (albeit pretty well loaded) mainly for the looks. I've had 4 door BMW's for last many years and wanted to go with something sportier looking. Other than not having much space in the back seats, the trunk has same space as the sedan and I prefer the look of the coupe. You're right about the rates given that most people prefer sedans for resale, but think about it this way, you certainly won't see as many coupes as sedans.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,908 Posts
Loaded Sedan!!! Why? It's loaded and it's practical and it still drives like a BMW!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses. I agree that it is hard to ignore getting a "loaded" sedan, but the coupes (only with the sport wheels) look REALLY good to me. I'm kind of torn because I'm not sure what I'll regret sooner - not getting the "looker" (coupe) or not getting alot of options (like in the sedan keeping in mind that I also like the looks of the sedan just not as much as the coupe). Things like bluetooth, ipod connectivity, heated seats, etc should just be standard at this point.

Any more suggetsions to sway me one way or another? Anyone in a similar situation?

·
Registered
36 Posts
just purchased my 335i sedan a few weeks ago and had a similar situation. was looking at a loaded 335 and a lesser equiped 5series. went with the options as i am the one driving it on the inside and wanted the comfort features. i think both the coupe and sedans are "lookers", but, in the long run all the options are very nice to have. i would go with the sedan.

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Before anyone says it - I know that this is a decision I can only make for myself.

Basically, I am leasing this time around. I've set a limit on how much I am willing to spend on my next car. The lease rates are much more favorable in the sedan and it seems that you could get more money off MSRP. So, with that, a nicely loaded sedan (NAV, Premium, Sport, heated seats, CA) is running almost the same as a bare-bones coupe (sport, heated seats). I am leaning toward the coupe in the looks department (although the sedan is nice as well), but am concerned that I'll regret buying a BMW and not having any luxury type options. Space is not an issue as my wife has the kid-mobile.

I'm interested in existing owner's opinions on why I should select one over the other. Thanks in advance for any input.
So non New3series coupe owners don't count (Well, you're not interested in what they have to say)... It's a shame my friend you limit yourself to mostly new owners of the New3Series when you have such a vast community of experiences with the New3Series coupe-Own or Not Owned.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So non New3series coupe owners don't count (Well, you're not interested in what they have to say)... It's a shame my friend you limit yourself to mostly new owners of the New3Series when you have such a vast community of experiences with the New3Series coupe-Own or Not Owned.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.
Please don't take offense. I'd love to hear from everyone (owners new and old or even just people that are still looking). My post was poorly written.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Loaded Sedan in a hearbeat... it's not like the choice is loaded 328 vs barebones 335.

Even if you prefer coupe looks (which is hardly a given) said looks are not so much better to be worth losing leather, power seats, sport package, 6fl, fancy paint, NAV etc.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My config for a 335i coupe would be sport package, heated leather seats, and comfort access. That's only $1300 less in a sedan. If you've GOT to have all the bells and whistles, sure, get the sedan - they even throw in 2 extra doors! - but if you don't need them, they might be closer than your think.

·
Registered
346 Posts
even if your wife has the kids mobile, you will regret getting the coupe down the line. that was the major reason for me not to get the coupe, altho i prefer the look of the coupe over sedan. Plus more options for less money is always a nice bonus.

Either way you go, i'm sure you will enjoy it :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I dont know about you but i live in Bellmore NY (Long Island) and in Bellmore and Merrick coupes are a dime a dozen. Ide say there are more coupes than sedans on the road.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sitting behind the wheel they both preform pretty much the same and probably hard to tell the differences. Get the loaded e90.

·
Registered
884 Posts
i've had them all 2 &4 door 3 series 545 and 650. i keep going back to the coupes. the bmw nav is grossly over priced 1800 vs a tom tom for 400. the aftermarket nav are much better as well. the only thing you'll miss in the premiom is the blue tooth for the cell. i'd get the coupe with sp and primium. the heated seats would be nice in NY but you can live w/o. the leather and BT a the comprise for the heated seats. its the little thing about the coupe in seattle that make it nice. open the door and put the umprilla[sp] in the back....... if you needed a kid move then its the loaded 4 door. besides the coupe looks better and has better resale.

·
Registered
519 Posts
There's a coupe? What's the point of a coupe? If you want two doors, get a convertible. If not, then get the sedan.

Why make backseat access a pain if you can't put the top down?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sedan=boring, coupe=awesome. Whatever on the options (except sp which is mandatory), which don't add anything but weight performance-wise. I don't care about back seat access because I'm driving. Plenty of room and easy access if your a kid.

Your own opinions may vary.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I went with the coupe (albeit pretty well loaded) mainly for the looks. I've had 4 door BMW's for last many years and wanted to go with something sportier looking. Other than not having much space in the back seats, the trunk has same space as the sedan and I prefer the look of the coupe. You're right about the rates given that most people prefer sedans for resale, but think about it this way, you certainly won't see as many coupes as sedans.
You raise an interesting question about resale values of the sedan vs. the coupe. While demand is higher for the sedan the reduced number of coupes sold should balance out the supply side of the equation in the used market assuming that the demand side also remains similar. If this is the case the coupes should retain proportional value. I'm sure that others will point out any falicies in my case. (Politely of course.)

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,908 Posts
Just as coupes have higher MSRPs they generally also have higher resale values.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I didn't think this before but now I would only get my car loaded...whether it's a 1 series 3 series 7 series, etc. even if it means a smaller engine just because I feel paying $40k+ I would want some luxury items. Otherwise I would go all out and just get a sportier barebone roadster. I use bluetooth, RTTI navi, garage door opener, dimming mirrors, etc EVERYDAY and love it.

Now having said all that, if you don't need NAV and heated seats, screw it and get the coupe, it's SOOOO good looking. haha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts