BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Looks good.

The non M looks so much nicer than the M in my opinion. Working on ordering the 3.0 mirrors in body color like people in Europe can. If that works will be doing the bumper next.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Re: Looks good.

Ron Stygar said:
The non M looks so much nicer than the M in my opinion. Working on ordering the 3.0 mirrors in body color like people in Europe can. If that works will be doing the bumper next.
Ron,

Jon says the same thing about 2.8/3.0 versus M.

I'm planning on switching my Z3 side mirrors to M ones. Is this nuts?

While I'm at it, I'm wondering about painting the yellow parts of the wheel well flat black. Any thoughts?

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Re: Re: Looks good.

AndyM said:

Ron,

Jon says the same thing about 2.8/3.0 versus M.

>>>I agree.

I'm planning on switching my Z3 side mirrors to M ones. Is this nuts?

>>>I think so. The M mirrors are an accident waitng to happen. I've added the convex Euro mirror glass to mine, and although better, they still don't work. Come close to two accidents (either side) recently. Al says it's because I'm an old man. With the 2.8/3.0 mirrors you can also add the convex Euro mirror glass too. My 318ti with the Euro convex mirror glass work fine.

While I'm at it, I'm wondering about painting the yellow parts of the wheel well flat black. Any thoughts?
>>>I would go with a semi gloss black. I do not notice the white in the wheel wells on my car.
The plastic parts that come with the new car are not as nice as the same parts ordered as spares. I've ordered the wheel well pieces along with the pieces that hang down in front of the rear wheels. Nickel dime. Also, replacing the mudflaps based on the price is easier than cleaning the ones you have.
Like your Brother, anything I offer, is available to you at cost.
I think that the walnut actualy looks good with the dakar.
The center dash piece being black makes this happen in my opinion.
Congratulations. Really like the look of your new car.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Very nice...

:thumb: :thumb:

I think that's the first Dakar Z3 Coupe I've ever seen... looks sharp!

daver -- 1995 525iT -- 2001 Z3 Coupe

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
I'll let Andy chime in here if he gets his ass out of bed any time soon. He will get you pics of the front grille.

Front grille is mesh. Looks great. I told Andy to consider painting one of the mesh pieces body color like 95 M3. The washer jets and rear spoiler should be dakar too, I think, but maybe not. Too soon to tell. Rear de-badge might be worth doing.

Matte chrome interior trim is standard on 2002 Z3 coupes. wood is optional. Dakar/walnut might actually look good if it wasn't for the matte chrome. If the trim was black, it would be a lot nicer. 3 colors in the interior is 1 too many.

Andy will be selling his matte chrome console in the next few weeks.

Black M interior is scheduled to leave Settle next Monday for Cincinnati.

We put my old M shifter into Andy's car after I switched to Ron's. It is much easier to re-install the dust boot when the console is removed. Not very good access to get the lower lip installed. We struggled with it. Tried to use white lithium on it, but slippery on means slippery off. Dry fit is best. Took less time to install VDO oil pressure sender than it did to reinstall the dust boot.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
tlp-96M3/2 said:
Is "Walnut" the same as the "Modena" interior offered on 96-98 M3's??? That leather looks very much like my Modena interior.
It's very close, but different. Email me and I will mail you a piece of it. I would appreciate it if someone could do a digital pic side by side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's my Modena

The camera washes out the colors. The carpet and leather match much better than the picture depicts. Also, the leather is darker and richer in person. I have yet to see Alpine white e36 M3 with Modena anywhere.

Attachments

·
Respect my authoritah!
28 Posts
Steering wheel

Why didn't your car include a color-keyed bottom segment on the steering wheel? I saw a black/walnut coupe with that, but it doesn't seem to be on yours.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Re: Steering wheel

acao said:
Why didn't your car include a color-keyed bottom segment on the steering wheel? I saw a black/walnut coupe with that, but it doesn't seem to be on yours.
Only with extended leather option. Sometimes it is all-colored, not just the bottom section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts